F r i e n d s

Penelope didn't end up seeing Phoenix for the rest of school, even when she kept a sharp eye out for him during lunch.

When the dismissal bell rang at 3:00, she packed her bag and joined the rush of students that were trying to exit the premises.

"Penelope!"

The brunette turned her head, only to see Olivia making her way over.

"Hey, why are you leaving through the back?" She asked in confusion.

"I have to walk home today, my mom has dinner with some of her co-workers." Penelope explained with a smile.

"Only you would be happy about walking home Elly." Olivia laughed.

"I don't mind." She replied, her smile still in place while gripping the straps of her backpack.

The blonde narrowed her eyes, suspicious about the truth to her statement before she shook her head with a playful smile.

"I'll see ya tomorrow." The blonde finished off while walking backwards.

She stopped suddenly, her eyes wide as if she'd had an epiphany.

"We should do something this weekend, with all 4 of us." She said in excitement.

Penelope smiled widely and nodded, bouncing on her heels.

"Olly, that's a great idea!"

Olivia squealed and turned on her heels yelling out a few words as she made her way out the school.

"I'll text you the details!"

Penelope shook her head at her friend, giggling at her behaviour.

She walked out the back doors while humming a tune when she overheard a conversation.

"So Phoenix, did you play football at your old school?"

A familiar voice questioned.

"Do they even have football where you're from?" He laughed when the boy didn't answer.

"Me and my guys thought that you would make a sick quarterback for our team. You've got the height and the muscles everything else can be taught."

A brief pause sounded before a deep accented voice was heard.

"Not interested." He clipped in short.

Penelope bit her lip as she peeped around the corner to get a visual of the interaction.

Her brain immediately connected the familiar voice to one of her long-time friends Owen, who was the team captain of the football team.

"Listen man" He laughed cockily. "What we're offering you is a privilege. You would need to be a complete idiot to turn down this opportunity."

Phoenix clenched his jaw and narrowed his eyes at the curly-haired boy in front of him.

He had a very short temper and the arrogant football player was about to be on the receiving end of his anger if he didn't stop talking.

Instead of responding though, he turned around and began to walk away from the small group.

"You must be fucked in the head" Owen laughed, glancing at his friends to get them to join in.

Penelope frowned at her friend's behaviour. She knew that he could be a bit rude sometimes, but this was crossing the line.

She was in the process of leaving her hiding spot when Owen decided to aggravate Phoenix even more.