68

"You're probably relishing in this moment," Penelope told her fellow captive, as they sat on the floor in an empty room beneath St. Rosemunde's administration building. With not one, but two police officers guarding the room just outside of the regal but rustic wood door. She rubbed her cuffed hands, but felt little ease when Olive scoffed.

"And why would I find any joy in being in a room alone with you?" Her eyes were daggers. "I'm not a lesbian."

"And I thought you were St. Rosamunde's walking conscience. Don't tell me you're homophobic?"

"Don't tell me you think you deserve anyone's pity." Olive shook her head. "Whatever this is, I'm sure I'll be released sooner than later. I can't say the same for you--"

"I know you want to get your next scoop or whatever, but you're playing with people's lives." Penelope gritted her teeth. "Take it from me. I would give anything to take back what I did to Miren. My parents are some of the most powerful people at this school, and even I'm no longer safe. For all you know, there's a reason why Wallace blamed us specifically for the attack."

"Wallace was just talking out of his arse. There is no substance to his claim--for either of us," Olive replied almost too calmly, as if she was as calculated as their accuser. "So calm down and don't say anything stupid."

Penelope just glared at her through glistening eyes. She didn't know why she wanted to cry, but it was obvious they were tip toeing toward a type of truth that would shatter them completely. If Wallace was just covering his ass by blaming them, then that meant there were bigger forces to be worried about.

"We have to get out of here," Penelope whispered to no one in particular. Her eyes then widened and her head snapped toward Olive's direction, to which she beckoned to come closer. With an eye roll, Olive rose to her feet.  The former queen bee proceeded to whisper the secrets of the universe--at least, their escape--in her ear.

A smirk found Olive's lips.

***

It was a rather sobering three hour train ride from the Hartford Union Station to Pennsylvania Station in New York City.

However, Jemma emerged from the train station like a champ, a smile from ear to ear as she breathed in the vibrant, metropolitan air.

"I'm so excited," she said, clasping her hands together. "I just texted my friend Astrid who's a sophomore at NYU and a St. Rosemunde alum. She said we could spend a few nights at her fancy apartment while she's at a research conference. And it's in the heart of Manhattan--her parents are loaded."

"Awesome," Miren said, although not feeling particularly awesome. "Let's get going. Wallace and his family should be staying at The Gusinheim Hotel. We should go there first--"

"And what do you plan on saying to him once we get there?" Jemma said, folding her arms, "If he didn't give you the heads up earlier about his little announcement what makes you think he'll come clean now?"

"I don't care if he refuses to say anything," Miren pushed. "We just need to see him. He's obviously hurt and confused. We basically got his brother expelled and proceeded to ignore his feelings in slew of making out like a bunch of dumb teenagers--"

"But you are a bunch of dumb teenagers," Jemma rationalized as they started for the busy streets. "And no one forced Wallace to help you or break up with his little girlfriend. If he wants to be melodramatic that's his problem."

"Don't tell me you only came here to go prom dress shopping," Jeno said, as he watched Jemma scroll through gowns on her phone. She shrugged.

"And to see Parker. I can see why he's hurting. Even though Roger revoked his expulsion, I can only imagine the toll it must have taken on his college scholarship prospects." She motioned for the subway. "Now come on. Let's drop our stuff off at the apartment first."