69

In New York City, that is.

A day of sightseeing was hardly enjoyable. The Empire State Building was anything but epic. And after a rather unromantic walk through Central Park it was clear that their little New York City Escape was not what the doctor ordered.

"We should just go home," Miren said dejectedly, her eyes landing on the filthy streets of NYC. "We can probably catch a late train back to Hartford."

"Okay," Jeno said, pinching her hand. "But what about Jemma?"

Miren shook her head. "Let her do what she wants. We're the ones imposing on her friend's place anyway. And don't forget she has a date with Parker."

Jeno smirked as they stopped at the intersection of 57th street. "Am I sensing a hint of jealousy?"

"Blind fury, yes. Jealousy, no." She brushed the bangs of her wig from her eyes. "She probably just wants to recruit him as her prom date. They'll probably win king and queen."

"It's hard to believe people still care about dumb titles like that," Jeno said, wrinkling his nose before his attention fell to his girlfriend. "I was thinking. What if we just don't go to prom? We could literally do anything else."

Miren just blinked at him. "Doesn't your mom want pictures or something?"

He shrugged as a breeze brushed past them. For late March in New England, it was remarkably bearable outside. "She's a trauma surgeon. She doesn't care about those sort of things."

"Sure she doesn't."

"I mean it." He took hold of her hand. "Everytime we get to go somewhere, it's tinged in some sort of moral obligation. Pick somewhere and we'll go. Just the two of us."

"Okay." She squeezed his hand, her dim eyes lighting up. "Wherever there's a beach I'm there."

***

"You could at least tell me where we're going," Penelope said as they rode in the backseat of an uber. However, the driver did not seem to give a fuck about whether this was a potential abduction scheme on Olive's end and simply hummed along to the radio.

"And ruin the surprise?" Olive offered instead, a hint of a grin on her lips. It was too soon to smile about anything, but it was hard not to be giddy about everything. Rule number one of investigative work was playing defense. This was offense to the max. "Besides, we're here." Without so much of a thank-you she pushed the door open. Groaning, Penelope followed in her lead.

They approached an apartment building in the middle of downtown. Olive walked through the upscale but modest establishment, passing by the guard table and reaching the elevator. Once inside, she pressed the button for the eighth floor.

Penelope held her breath and tongue. That is, until the door opened and they stepped out. "This got old when we were in the middle of the tunnel. Come on, Olive--" Just then a hand cupped over her mouth, another pulled her out of the main hallway, toward the trash shoot. Penelope's frantic eyes landed on Olive's, which were just as wide as hers. But when Olive mouthed a name, her eyes threatened to roll in the back of her head.

Headmaster Edsel.

With a small gulp, Penelope peered through the wall, watching the man rapidly press the button for the elevator.

"What is the world coming to?" he mumbled rather loudly under his breath. He hit the wall with his fist. "How do two girls disappear out of nowhere?" With a deep sigh, he adjusted his blazer and stepped inside the elevator.

"Looks like our cover is blown," Penelope commented, stepping out of the shadows. "Now please tell me where we're going."

"If I should have to tell you at this point, you're not nearly as smart as I thought you were," was Olive's reply as she started for the room the headmaster had just left. Without a second thought, she was knocking.