Abandoned: Part 1

Elon pulled on his boots and sensed Carissa stirring behind him. The cot frame creaked as she sat up. With his back still to her, she wrapped her arms around him, her cheeks pressed to his spine.

"Where are you going?" she murmured sleepily.

He rubbed his thumb across her clasped hands. "The caravan is packing up this morning. Algernon won't be joining us for the rest of the journey."

Her arms slipped away from him. "Are you going to tell him to leave?"

"Yes." He glanced over his shoulder. "He'll make the journey back to Nysia and have a chance to rebuild his life."

Which was more than he deserved.

When Carissa's brows furrowed, he pressed a kiss to her forehead. "Trust me to handle this."

"All right." She swung her legs over the cot and grabbed her clothes. "In the meantime, I'll help pack up the camp."

Elon stood, and once she was dressed, unknotted the tent flaps. "I'll be back in a moment, love."

She nodded, but not before concern and guilt flickered across her expression.

Elon left the tent and walked to the outskirts of the camp, where Algernon resided. Though Algernon had been given canvas and poles, he had abandoned the poles while draping the canvas over a low-lying tree branch.

Elon stopped a few feet away. "Algernon, come out."

There was rustling beneath the canvas before Algernon emerged, his hair wild and beard tangled. But the sleepiness in his eyes vanished as soon as he set eyes on Elon.

"Elon. You're a reasonable man, aren't you? You see, about last night... It wasn't completely my fault. Your wife—"

Elon's punch snapped Algernon's face to the side. Algernon staggered backward, his hand flying to his cheek as he stared at Elon with rounded eyes.

Elon splayed his fingers, enjoying the slight ache in his knuckles. "That was for taking advantage of my wife."

Algernon's dark eyes grew chill as he assessed Elon, likely wondering whether or not he could retaliate and win.

Algernon's fists clenched, as if he were contemplating striking back, but he kept his arms as his sides. "But she—"

Elon closed the distance between them, heat surging in his veins. "She what?"

Algernon tipped his head back to peer up at him, his face paling. "N–nothing. It won't happen again."

"No. It won't."

"What do you mean?"

"You're to leave the caravan and travel back to Nysia."

"But that's not fair."

"Neither was hurting Carissa."

"But what about forgiveness? Yes, I made a mistake, but I know that you of all people advocate for forgiving others."

"There is forgiveness, but there are also consequences for our actions. I'm forgiving you in that I'm giving you a chance to go back and use the latter portion of your life more wisely than you've used the former. But as a result of nearly violating my wife, you must leave."

"But you even forgave the members of this caravan when they attacked and imprisoned you—and withheld the Nephesh."

Elon nodded. "I have. But there will be consequences to those actions as well, consequences that they will have to deal with sooner rather than later, I'm afraid." The thought felt like a weight upon his chest. That was a day he wasn't looking forward to.

"But I can't travel back alone. There are yare wolves and Reapers and—"

"Stick to the road. Sleep in the trees at night. If there are others on the road, hide until they pass. You'll live if you travel cautiously. And if you tell Elder Lorem that I request that you be given food and a mount, it will be done."

Algernon opened his mouth, but open seeing Elon's expression, he closed it again. "I suppose I don't have a choice in the matter."

"You had a choice, Algernon. This is simply the result of what you've already chosen."

Anger flared in Algernon's eyes, but he simply began to pack his possessions.

"Farewell, Algernon." Elon turned and strode away, already knowing that Algernon wouldn't reply.

Now it was time to talk to Elder Lorem. He'd said to keep Mera and her secret safe; it was time he fulfill that promise.

***

Carissa couldn't help but follow Algernon's progress on his horse as he headed in the opposite direction of the caravan, his horse leaving a trail of dust in its wake. Within the hour, he and his mount had been reduced to a speck. And then they were out of sight.

Carissa finally pulled a blanket over her head to keep the dirt out of her nose and eyes.

"The dust should get better today."

Carissa glanced at Elon and found his gaze on her. "How so?"

"We're going to cross into ancient Esmerian land, where the flora and fauna have had time to adapt to the darkness and bareness. The forest will grow thicker with greenery."

Carissa suppressed a shiver. Though it would be nice not to see the same barren brown ground and spindly black trees, she wasn't entirely sure she wanted to see plants and animals that had adapted to the darkness.

She glanced at Elon, saw the tension in his expression. She was curious about what had happened between himself and Algernon but refrained from asking. Elon knew what he did. All would be well.

As they traveled, moss began to coat the trees. A few blades of grass clustered together. She even caught the lone whistle of a bird. Though the sound should have lightened her heart, listening to its song made it feel heavier. The notes were low, almost mournful, as if it were the only bird in existence and had been left to grieve the deaths of the others alone.

They stopped, just before nightfall. Elon assisted her off of the wagon, then Mera. But when Mera drew away, he didn't release her hand.

"Mera, may I speak to you for a moment?"

She yanked her hand from Elon's grip. "I'm afraid I'm indisposed at the moment."

Mera seemed quite fine to her. Unless one counted a sour attitude, but for Mera that was hardly unusual.

"Mera, this is rather urgent."

"Then tell me quickly, before I run out of patience." She folded her arms, keeping her torso angled toward the camp.

Elon glanced at Carissa, his gaze full of meaning and emotion that she couldn't begin to comprehend. And then he stepped toward Mera. "You and I are leaving the caravan tonight. Alone."

***

Author's Note: Sneak peek is in my profile bio :)