CHAPTER NINE

Blood

Blood. Why was there so much blood? Danny lifted her fingers up to her line of vision. Her knees were torn to shreds, her blue jeans now brown from her own blood. "Danny." Reggie's voice wavered within her ears. She looked up, noticing the bodies walking toward them. She had fallen after they put down the first demon. She expected more; maybe a few, but the crowd moving in on them sent her heart into overdrive. Reggie's arms quickly wrapped around her waist and lifted her onto her feet. "Get outta here," he told her. His grip was tight on her shoulders. "No!" she snapped.

          She shoved his hands away. Her eyebrows were furrowed. "I'm not going anywhere. Not when there's that many." She couldn't deny the fact that there was something between she and Reggie. She felt that familiar fuzzy feeling every time he called her, or touched her. His eyes were pleading. "Please. I don't know what I'd do if you got hurt." She withdrew the Beretta from her holster, already clicking off the safety. "I won't." The sound of their footsteps were taunting in the air. Tim and Steve were pointing their guns at the demons. "Don't come no closer!" Tim shouted at the herd, his voice strained. He was terrified.

          Danny left Reggie's side to join the other two. She rose the gun, peering over it. The demons weren't listening. Her finger twitched over the trigger. She wanted to shoot. She thought she could shoot. Her hands weren't steady. Her heart was beating wildly inside her chest. She couldn't calm herself down without exposing herself. "I said stop!" Tim's shout was drowned out by the gun shot, Danny letting out a yelp. Her ear began to ring, the noise around her muffled. "Danny!" She could see Reggie look at her, his eyes wide as she held onto her ear. A body rammed into him, tackling him to the ground. Bodies were colliding with theirs, taking them down one by one.

          She couldn't do anything but watch. She fought against the bodies coming her way, her gun holstered and her knife withdrawn. Cries sounded through the air, her ear still ringing. Her eyes landed on Steve, who looked to be winning his battle until a demon began to maneuver toward him. "Steve!" she shouted as she plunged her knife into a demon's chest. His eyes only met hers momentarily before his guts were spilled before him, landing against the dirty sidewalk.

          Anger pulsed through her veins as she finally brought her gun up once more. She fired a bullet into the demon's head that killed her friend. She fired another one, and another one, until she emptied her clip into the monsters. Blood stained her hands, but she didn't care anymore. She had to get out of there, alive.

┏━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓