CH. 4 Authority

I sat still, my eyes directed at the table.

I could sense the shift in mood, how everyone's shock had abruptly turned to bitter realization.

Someone cleared their throat, and I looked up to come into eye-contact with Lucas.

He blinked at me, a glare hidden within his eyes that made me want to crawl into a deep hole and hide there. He then looked around the table, eying everyone, "This is why I'm back," Lucas said blankly, "I'm here to fix this mess that has become our sister, as you all have obviously not raised her well enough since I've been gone."

I felt my throat tighten as I looked to Lance; his face set in stone, lips pressed into a thin line.

He was our leader, after all. Ever since Lucas left, he was the one who picked up the job and rolled with it. He didn't even have the chance to bat an eye as he was tasked with raising the last four of us Hansens.

For Lucas to say this about our up-bringing was a slap in the face to Lance. He did his best, and Lucas coming out of nowhere to criticize this made my blood boil. He had no right to show up out of thin air with a bag of insults to hit us with.

But, I guess he was intentionally beckoned back when Lance 'supposedly' called him. Yet, that didn't mean he had to be as asshole about it. He didn't even know me anymore. Not. One. Bit.

I could tell Lucas' words had hurt Lance, but he quickly erased his expression, looking to Chase who was supposed to be his right-hand man, "Why didn't you say anything?"

Chase took in his bottom lip, rolling it in between his teeth— no excuse to give.

Lance then shook his head at Chase, a look of disappointment in his eyes. Suddenly, he then brought his eyes to mine, "Los Oscuros?" He bit, "Are you trying to get yourself killed?" He said, intensifying his gaze.

I opened my mouth to reply— but was suddenly cut off.

"—Well apparently she is if she's doing fucking coke," Kade snarled from the opposite side of the table.

I ground my teeth together, "I'm not anymore," I hissed, "That's why that wasn't important for y'all to know. I'm done with that shit," I said, turning my head to Chase to give him a look of betrayal.

Chase refused to meet my gaze, his eyes glued to the wall across from him.

Coward.

Kade scoffed at my remark, "I honestly don't even know what to believe anymore. You're just a fucking pathological liar at this point," He bit, his nose scrunching up at me.

My lips parted as I stared at Kade in shock, "You don't know anything!" I began to raise my voice, turning to look around at everyone, "In fact, none of you know a thing about me— stop trying to act like you do," I said in a growl, specifically directing my last sentence towards Lucas.

Lucas crossed his arms, making sure that his muscles flexed in an attempt to intimidate me, "Well, I certainly know enough to realize you're betraying our family name. We don't associate with other gangs, but apparently you haven't learned right from wrong, sorellina," Lucas bit back, "And, now, they all know who the money was for."