This is Me - 16.2

Annabelle's POV

There was so much fear in me when I walked into that room and saw that small girl attacking Jace with her words. I may have believed in what she was saying only months ago. However, I knew Jace now and I understood his position and what he meant for our cause. What caused my rage, however, was not for some higher reason. It was because the thought of anyone hurting Jace caused my heart to race too fast and my world to spin, and not in a good way. All I could see was the threat.

It took a moment to even notice that Jace had stepped over to me. By the time I looked up at him I felt ashamed of how I reacted but his reassurance made me understand that he was proud of the way I stood up for him.

Elizabeth asked us to calm down and we took our seats as she made a speech about dialogue and understanding. I barely understood it, as my ears were racing with adrenaline from those events that had just taken place.

"Jace, why don't you start."

I tuned in and stared at Jace, who was tightly holding my hand but staring straight ahead. He stood up, I stood up with him.

"For a long time, I believed everything that my father told me. I believed that us, the vampires, were the good guys. We were putting a stop to the savages. I believed this because as a young boy I was taken by werewolves. I was tortured. I watched as my sister was tortured."

Jace squeezed my hand a little tighter.

"I made it home. My sister didn't."

A man, a wolf, sitting down the other side of the table, spoke up "we remember the stories. I am very sorry with what happened to your sister, and to you." The man took a breath. "What those wolves did was wrong. It reflected poorly on the wolves in charge."

"The thing is, I am not sure that it does. I have reason to believe that those wolves who tortured my sister and me, were being led by someone else. If what I am beginning to understand is true, my entire understanding of other peoples communities is wrong. I am here to understand the truth."

I looked at Jace, his eyes closed, mentally steadying himself as he continued.

"Some of you, or I am sure all of you have seen my relationship with Annabelle. She was brought to me by Flynn. She was meant to be my pet, however, as we know now, this has not, or really has never been the case. I care about Annabelle, and she has completely changed the way I view the world. She is my equal and there is no other way to see it. Annabelle, getting to know her, gave me the push to see past the lies."

My heart swelled. Flynn stood up, smiling at Jace. Rose stood up too, creating the solid front.

"I saw something in Annabelle that day. She could change him, she could change everything, she was just... good. I knew that all Jace needed was a little push, he was almost already there. I have been there for a long time. Things aren't right." Said Flynn, looking down at Rose who smiled up at him.

"After things changed, my pack was split up and I was a slave. I will admit I wasn't a very obedient slave. The day Jace saved me, I was left for dead. If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't be here today. Things need to change, and not with war, with one side winning. They need to change with revolution. With a proper way for all." I reached out my other hand for Rose.

I looked over at Elizabeth who was looking at me. I guess it was my turn to speak. My adrenaline was gone from the previous events, and I felt my throat dry up. I may be much braver than I once was, but this was more than I was used to. However, things don't change unless people like me speak up.