Chapter 22

~Plan B~

They trickled in like a storm disguised as a subtle evening rain. At first only a handful of peasants made their way to Oris' carriage but soon enough it was surrounded. Yet that was all the commoners did, almost as if they were scared of directly attacking someone of high status.

Oris could hear the screams of the servants in the other carriages even though she was no longer able to see them through the crowd of bodies. They shouted loudly for the guards stationed at the walls while trying to protect the property they had been assigned to watch over.

Oris listened with a knowing grin, almost able to picture the scene. Many servants would use this opportunity to rob her and blame the peasants for their losses. Others might even sneak off with the crowd to freedom.

With a graceful wave of her hand, she ordered Andrea and Mayree to toss more sacks out of the carriage. They had to get all the supplies distributed before the guards arrived because as it was, the window of opportunity was already short.

She was sure that the ones patrolling the walls would call for reinforcements. They couldn't act without backup—or orders—hence they couldn't bare the responsibly of encouraging dissention among the masses.

Once the reinforcements arrived to disperse the crowd, Faeradaigh would reappear to convince her to find a lodging somewhere close to the wall and if she refused, her security detail would become much stricter than now.

The common people wouldn't dare risk their lives to approach then even if they were given the gall of a bull.

Further away from the carriage, Keziah and Seline played an improvised form of hide and seek with the children tagging along the periphery of the mob, dropping delicate goods like potions and tonics within the reach of the young ones before darting away gracefully.

Oris had thought of the method with numerous considerations in mind. Children, especially those of the lower class, were quick on their feet and nimble. Eventually, when the guards show themselves, they'd be the first to get away.

Giving them the fragile and expensive medicine jars was the best tactic she could think of.

In the end she knew that people would get hurt. There was no way to avoid that and her heart ached for the people. She loathed to use them this way but she had to get into the palace at all costs.

The least she could do was limit the damage done and that was what she fully intended.

"The task has been completed, mistress," Seline announced as she bounded for the carriage, weaving through the people with her once full sack now hanging limp on her shoulder.

"Same here," Keziah joined in, trailing a few steps behind her fellow maid.

They both curtsied in front of the carriage before placing their gazes in Mayree.

"Good. It looks like the guards are on their way," the older maid announced, standing on the tips of her toes to view over the heads of the crowd.

Her gaze swept the area twice before a frown formed on her lips. "Andrea is?" 

Seline and Keziah looked around as well but didn't see the bubbly maid. They didn't manage to find her before a dozen red armored guards moved to surround the carriage.