62: Like A King

Chapter 62: Like A King

Luna's POV*

I made the decision to keep Ace safe and detach myself from him. I won't hurt him anymore if I'm not there.

I managed to get through most of the day without speaking to Ace while practicing for the Pageant tonight. I kept on passing it off by saying I was "too nervous to talk" and that the "Pageant is constantly on my mind".

I mean, they weren't complete lies. I'm definitely nervous and the Pageant was constantly on my mind but I guess that wasn't the full truth.

Around lunch, Raven asked me if I wanted to ditch the Westside Pageant last minute because she felt bad for putting me through the hassle but I declined because I knew if I didn't go, Hayley would use that as a chance to hurt Ace and Ace would be awfully suspicious.

I didn't really talk much before and after that, I just listened in to conversations and nodded along when I needed to.

The dancing practice wasn't as bad as it was yesterday, except for the occasional time when we bumped into another pair or when Ace accidentally stepped on my toes while I thwacked him on the head for it. But then came the time when the final bell rang, signalling the end of the school day and that I had to go back to the White House in Ace's car to go get ready for the event.

"Are you feeling okay?" Ace glanced at me from the steering wheel.

"Yeah, just nervous I guess," I said for the millionth time today.

"You've been nervous all day, Cupcake," Ace chuckled, "Don't sweat it, I'm sure this is less terrifying then all the agent stuff you've done."

I gave a light hearted laugh, "Mhmm."

"Hey," He grabbed my hand into his, "You've got nothing to be scared of, I'm gonna be right there with you."

I looked from my hand to his face. God, why did he have to make this so hard.

"I know," I smiled but then subtly removed the hand from his to fiddle with the hem of my shirt which was also convenient for him since he had to signal a turn.

Once we got to the house, Caroline was there standing with Raven at the door waiting for us, both containing excited smiles on their glowing faces.

"Oh no..." I whispered as Ace and I got closer to the house.

"Oh my- You're taking ages!" Raven yelled from the door and came to drag me into the house while I was frantically pressing my heels into the ground.

"No! I don't wanna!" I protested.

"But you're gonna." She made a face at me.

"Alright, up! Up!" Caroline (who was somehow already ready for the event) ushered us up the stairs but instead of going to my designated room, she lead us to some sort of dressing room.

I kinda felt like a movie star when I saw the mirror with the light bulbs outlining it but the table full of makeup products ruined it for me. I swear those liquid eyeliners have hidden knives in them.

They sat me down in the chair in front of the mirror while I scowled at them through the reflection.

"This is the last time I'm letting you do this." I stated in a 'matter-of-fact' tone.