19 | Hit Lists & Undercover Detectives

"Alright, there's a hit list going around and a lot of people's names are on it," Namjoon informed the officers in the briefing room. "We have a few leads on who we think is going around killing the people on the list and the person supplying the money."

Hoseok slid the file in Jimin's direction. "Park, we want you and Officer Kim to take the case."

"Me?" Taehyung asked hopefully.

"No, the other one," Hoseok said. "You're useless in the event of a car chase."

"Hey!" Jungkook protested. "What about me?"

Hoseok and Namjoon shared a nervous glance.

"Actually, Jungkook," Hoseok started. "We'd like you to sit this one out."

"You're actually on the hit list," Namjoon said.

All eyes were on Jungkook and he felt his stomach drop. His eyes widened and he felt his heartbeat pick up.

"No way," Jungkook said in amazement. "How much am I?"

Namjoon slid a copy of the hit list across the table to show Jungkook. Jungkook's eyes skimmed the list until he saw a '5' next to his name.

Jungkook looked up at Namjoon with an incredulous look on his face. "I'm worth five dollars?"

"That's five million," Namjoon corrected.

Yoongi let out a low whistle. "He's expensive."

"Five million?" Jungkook's eyes widened. "I only make sixty thousand a year!" he grumbled something inaudible. "Maybe I should kill myself."

━━━━━━━━

"You guys really threw me a surprise party?" Jungkook asked, staring up into nothing as the blindfold Jimin put on him was blocking his vision. "Wait—why? My birthday was months ago."

Jimin shoved Jungkook into a holding cell and locked the gate. "Just kidding. This is probably the safest place you can be."

Jungkook took off the blindfold. "I wanna help so let me out!"

"No," Jin replied. "But maybe you can tell us if you have any enemies that are willing to pay five million for your corpse."

Jungkook dwelled on it. "I dunno, ask my exes," he said. "I write down all their names and numbers in a notebook on my desk."

"Why the fuck do you do that?" Jin asked.

"Blackmail, duh."

Jimin held up two notebooks and flipped through a few pages. "Jungkook, which one?"

Jungkook looked at both of them. "Yes."

━━━━━━━━

Jimin and Jin were discussing the case in the corner of the precinct while going over the hit list, trying to match up any of the names with Jungkook's exes. Then, Jin noticed something.

"Sarge's name is on this." Jin frowned and inspected the list. "Sarge!" he called loudly.

Hoseok shivered and spilled his scalding coffee over his hands in the break room. He let out a sigh of frustration and groaned inwardly. Immediately, he turned on the cold water and ran his hands under the faucet.

"What do you want?" he called back.

"You're on the hit list!" Jimin announced cheerfully.

"I'm what?" Hoseok let out a scream and spilled the rest of his coffee.