Ch. 35: Out Loud

The sun poking through my blinds pricked my eyes like shards of glass and I groaned, rolling over and pulling a pillow over my head for good measure. I wasn't ready to get up yet, feeling like I'd barely slept at all, but nodding off for a few more hours wasn't going to happen. The weird dream I'd had was still fresh in my head as if branded there, playing back every time I closed my eyes, making me groan again.

"Was it only a dream?"

No, a voice mocked from the dark depths of my mind. You only wish it was.

As much as I wanted to tell the voice to shove it, I knew it right. Last night there was no doubt I'd met up with Benjii again and had a conversation with an insanely strong... whatever. A whatever that had also challenged me to figure out what he was. I could almost still feel tingles along my skin from where his power caressed me, his deep growl when he spoke a fresh memory. They'd been real even if our surroundings hadn't.

Why else could I still remember it when most of my dreams faded away?

And it wasn't like this had been my first dream sorta like it. I recalled the one I'd had of Malik while he was gone. The one in his bedroom he'd never mentioned. The one he'd suggested was instigated by his demon since he had no memory of it. That would have stung more if I hadn't first dismissed it as my longing for him manifesting itself into my dream world. It was kinda sweet his demon had shared the same sentiments.

Maybe this newer one freaked me out more because it wasn't with anyone I was overly familiar with. Benjii had mentioned them breaking in, which felt like a massive invasion of privacy, no matter how good the reason. Dreams were deeply personal and sometimes an unfiltered insight into the person having them. Cue the manifestation of my therapist's office, a place I rarely let myself think of.

I meant it when I said I wasn't ashamed but thinking of it was like stepping back into the shadows after feeling the kiss of the sun. It was a reminder of darker days.

Speaking of darkness, something mystery man said about the queen of it herself came back to me. She's messing with forces far outside of her control.

Pinching my lips into a tight frown, I tapped my fingers onto the mattress as I thought. What could that mean?

Now, I liked thinking about Brielle even less than the two years after Dad died but if she was planning something, I wanted to know. It was like playing with a world-class chess player that planned five moves ahead. Your only chances of winning were either to outwit them... or rely on pure dumb luck. I was fond of living so the former was the preferred option.

If whatever she was doing could catch the eye of Benjii's maker, it really couldn't be good. I didn't know what exactly he was but I got the feeling everyday ruckus wasn't enough to garner his attention. It had to threaten everything he'd worked to create. Trying to imagine what exactly could do that sent chills down my spine and in a bout of frustration, I threw the pillow on my head across the room. Watching it smack my closed closet door did little to alleviate the stress building inside me. I didn't know enough to conclude and I would only be going around in circles, driving myself insane, the longer I thought about it.

Maybe I would bring it up to Malik and see what he had to say. Or at least see if he could help me figure out what the hell mystery man was. I didn't think he wanted to hurt me but I was at the point where I wasn't willing to fully trust my instincts, especially with someone so powerful I didn't know. Malik wouldn't be happy that I'd spent so long with him alone for that exact reason- my ridiculously possessive vampire- but I was asleep. They'd invaded my dream. That should be enough to vouch for my innocence.