~17~ The Little Brother Gives Me Advice

The first thing that Riley, Maya, and I did when we got back was try out for the cheer team. That didn't go well. "Well, another year we're not going to be cheerleaders." Riley said, waving her pompoms dejectedly.

We stood in the middle of the subway station. In cheer uniforms. You might say it was a bit embarrassing. By now almost everyone knew that my dad was engaged. Everyone had mixed feelings. Most people who had known my mom wondered how he moved on so easily.

"Why do you make me do these things? Pom-poms are stupid and pyramids made of humans freak me out. And what are these?" Maya asked, pointing down in confusion.

"These are your legs." Riley said slowly.

"Have you ever seen anything so white?" Maya asked in confusion, causing me to nod and play along.

"One time when I looked into the sun."

"These need to be put away. We have to go to Demolition right now and get clothes." Maya suggested, causing me to grin. I was never one to turn down a Demolition thrift shopping trip.

"I'm in... Because you know they're going to find out we took these things." I said, gesturing to the cheer uniform I had basically stolen.

"But my curfew's in fifteen minutes." Riley said sadly. Mr. and Mrs. Matthews had become much stricter with Riley's curfew lately.

"But they're having a sale." Maya protested.

"Vintage t-shirts." I added.

"Ooh, I do love t-shirts that other people have already loved."

"You are the only person I know that has to be home by seven." Maya told her.

"It's ridiculous. They treat me like a baby."

"Who?" We asked.

"Ma-ma da-da. It's time I was treated like the woman I am. I am going to Demolition!"

"That's the spirit!" We exclaimed then paused.

"You're not really coming, are you?" I asked.

"Nah." Then she stopped. "Wait. You know what? I am. I am old enough to stay out past seven o'clock." She paused before turning to us. "What's the damage for this, in your professional opinion?"

Maya thought for a moment. "Broken curfew?"

"Chump change." I said, waving it off.

"Whole thing blows over by Wednesday."

"Maybe Thursday depending on Topanga's mood."

"Worth it! Let's do this!" Riley exclaimed.

"Great! See you Wednesday." Maya said, and we walked to Demolition.

~<3~

"I'm late, I'm late, I know I'm late!" Riley said loudly as we walked into her apartment.

"Seven minutes." Her dad informed her.

"Say nothing."

"Keep walking." Maya and I reminded her quickly, trying to rush her to her room.

"No." Riley said. "This is a thing. Deal with your bad girl."

Topanga nodded, amused. "Okay, where were you?"

"Demolition. It's an alternative store. Where rebels go! And I bought this t-shirt I don't think you'll entirely approve of. Bleh!" I laughed, and Topanga struggled to keep a straight face.

"Edgy."

Cory frowned. "Wait, Riley, what's going on?"

"I am too old for a seven o'clock curfew. I reject it! Reject it! Reject it! Won't even respect it!"