five: cara, meet darius

"Listen here. I don't know what games you're trying to play, but I'm not someone you rich guys get to play around with! I'm grateful you stood up for me and sent me to the hospital, but that's it. If you think that's going to win me over and get you in my pants, you're dead wrong."

"You're no hero!"

"You're just like them... you're a...a... manwh*re!"

As if on cue, the seatbelt worked and she stormed out of the car without looking back. I sank into my seat in disbelief.

Did she just call me a manwh*re?

I chuckled.

Cara Jefferson, you're something else.

-----

Cara

I woke up in cold sweat the next morning. Kicking the blanket off me rather unceremoniously, I raised my hand to my forehead to check my temperature - back to normal. I groaned. A small part of me was disappointed because that meant I had no excuse not to go to work today. I sat myself up and stretched lazily. Just like that, the scenes from last night hit me like a train out of nowhere. Did I really call Darius Clemonte a manwh*re? I winced at that painful memory. All the chlorine from the pool must have bleached my brain clean of manners. I reached for my phone on the bedside table. No new messages. Well, no news is good news, right? Mr Clemonte hasn't fired me.

At least not yet.

I shuffled out of bed and into the bathroom while carefully avoiding the clothes strewn all over the floor. I might not be the neatest person around, but I know where all my stuff are. After peeling myself out of my pajamas, I stepped into the shower and gave myself to the hot water that seemed to hit all the right spots. I sighed in bliss as I felt my sore muscles loosening up.

New day, new beginning.

I'll get through today.

-----

I am so not getting through today.

My heart was in my throat as I stepped out of the elevator and into the vacant space Jefferson's Artiste Agency called an office. Darting my eyes left and right, I prayed to the high heavens that my father wasn't in today.

"Good morning, Miss Jeffer - "

I shushed our receptionist, one of the three remaining employees we still have on our payroll. I crouched as low as possible in front of her desk. "Is my Dad here?" I whispered. A knowing look crossed her face. "He came in bright and early and walked straight into his office. I think he's waiting for you." I groaned. How am I going to explain what happened yesterday?

"Is it true? Did Hailey leave us too?"

I nodded my head in resignation. "It'll be fine. I'll go down to the streets and scout for some fresh blood. We might just discover the next rising star," I flashed her an assuring smile, a skill I've honed over the years. She shuffled in her seat uncomfortably before she pulled out a white envelope from under a stack of documents. "Actually..." her voice trailed off but I knew what she had to say. Looks like we're down to two employees now. I took the envelope from her and wished her all the best.

"Cara. I'd like to see you in my office. Now." My Dad's voice boomed from across the room.

If only I could hand in a resignation letter too.