Chapter 41

Two choices ...

I had two choices, either stand my ground and try to prove the nurse was poisoning me, or turn back around and return to my room. I stood in front of Nico and Luc, and silently weighed up my options. Sure, I could make a dash for it and attempt to push past Luc and Nico, and continue my search, but I was 99% certain it would end in failure. Either Luc or Nico would catch before I'd even managed to run pass them, or if I was fortunate enough to slip past these two formidable vampires, it would be only a matter of seconds before they caught up with me. Perhaps if I was lucky I might open a single door before I was caught, sedated and dragged back to my room.

"Luc," I began, hoping that a last minute plea might change his mind, "Please, Luc. I know this sounds crazy, but I swear someone is trying to poison me - " my plea was cut short.

"You have two choice, Mia - don't make me choose one for you," he snapped, unapologetically.

He stood his ground, unyielding and as cold as granite. I glanced towards Nico, my old adversary who had now become my only ally. Nico subtly inclined his head towards my bedroom door, silently urging me to retreat back into my room. But how could I? If I relented then the nurse would continue to poison me, and I'd continue to grow weaker, and everything that I'd gone through in the bathroom would've been for nothing!

"Luc - " I began, but my voice faltered when my eyes clashed against Luc's cold dark unforgiving stare.

Damn it, I've never seen him look so mad before.

I exhaled slowly through my teeth and lifted my hands up in a gesture of surrender. Backing away slowly I said, "Fine, I'm heading back to the bedroom."

Okay, this wasn't strictly an act of submission. This was a strategic manoeuvre - live today, fight tomorrow. Luc couldn't guard me twenty four hours a day, seven days a week; at least not with his crazy younger brother still running around. I'd just have to bide my time and wait for Luc to disappear for a few hours, and then slip out my room and explore.

Hell, if I was lucky, Nico might even help me.

Luc watched me back slowly into the bedroom until he was satisfied that I'd firmly abandoned my foolish plans of tracking down the nurse's station. Once I was fully in the room, Luc turned to Nico and said, "Ask house keeping to send someone to clean up the bathroom, and call Henrietta. Tell her she was right, and ask her to prepare the Royal suite. She'll understand what you mean ... We can't keep Mia down here after whatever the hell happened in that bathroom."

Nico acknowledged Luc's orders with a curt nod, and disappeared up the corridor leaving us alone.

Standing in the middle of the bedroom, and I coolly waited for him to return back into the room. But instead he chose to stay outside in the corridor for a few uncomfortable moments. Maybe he wanted to compose himself before facing me, or maybe he wanted to heighten my dread by holding me anticipation. Eventually when he did finally chose to come back into the bedroom, he walked slowly through the door carrying himself with a deceptive calm. His dark eyes swept over me and then moved towards the bathroom. The bathroom door was wide open revealing the blood spattered room littered with pieces of shattered mirror.

Crap. It looked like a murder scene in there.

"What the hell happened in there, Mia?" he asked in a low voice.

"I - " my eyes dropped to the floor as I struggled for an answer.

"For fuck sake, Mia!" he hissed, raking his fingers through his hair.

"I don't know what happened," I said.

"Bullshit," he spat.

He turned abruptly, and grabbed the door and violently slammed it shut. An explosion of noise filled the room and I jumped in surprise.