10. Beginning of a forever

Akshita

It has taken everything in me to keep my excitement rolling these past few days. After the incident on my engagement, my family has been behaving even more withdrawn from me. After telling them thousands of times that I didn't do anything to bring shame to them, I had to quit explaining. They were not understanding and so I stopped caring.

In the usual cases, girls cry when they have to leave their home, their well-established life and the most precious thing- their parents after marriage. Since my case was not the usual, I knew I wouldn't shed a single tear for any of the above-mentioned things. I knew I never had a home or a well-established life or people who could be called parents. I was grateful for this marriage because I was going to get everything now. Most of all, I was going to get some happiness. The happiness which I hope God finally thinks I deserve.

Since marriage was planned within a month, my parents were not conducting any other functions like Mehndi, Sangeet or haldi. Ashish's parents were fine with not having big events because they were organising their small events. For mehndi, my mother called a mehndi (henna) artist and after the artist applied mehndi on my hands and legs, sitting in my room alone, she left. For the sangeet (music and dance ceremony), we had nothing arranged and the haldi ceremony (applying turmeric on the bride and groom's body to ward off evil) was to be conducted on the day of marriage.

The best thing was that my mehndi's colour was super dark, I loved it. After the day of engagement, Ashish and I have met a few times by sneaking right under my parents' nose. They never knew that I sneaked at night to meet Ashish outside our house. I never told Ashish about my parents' unwillingness to give me any pre-wedding rituals. I didn't want him to worry more.

Ashish and I were going to be husband and wife in just one day. Like any other girl, I was nervous about my big day but more than nervous, I was ecstatic to start a new life.

My phone rang and I smiled seeing Khushi's call. She was more of a sister to me than my cousins ever were.

"Good evening, beautiful bhabhi." Her cheerful voice came through the phone.

"Good evening. How are you? Why didn't you call in the morning?" I asked pouting slightly.

"Sorry, I was busy with the preparations for the sangeet. Bhai said he just wants our family to be present so we arranged it in the garden. How are preparations going at your place?" She asked excitedly. I didn't know what to tell her. There was no celebration at my place.

"Everything is going great. We are also having a small function." I lied through my teeth. I felt bad for lying but I didn't have any option.

"Oh, great bhabhi. Are you excited about tomorrow? You will officially be in your new home."

"Yes, I am," I replied blushing. There was hushed talk through the line.

"Bhabhi, I will call you later. Mamma is calling me now."

"Okay, bye."

"Bye, have fun." We both hung up the call. I just laid on my bed looking around my room. My bags were packed, I sneaked some of my college books inside my bag since my mother was not allowing it. It started raining and I felt that my mood became better. I opened the window and looked at the falling drops from the sky. To pretend that I was having a sangeet, I played some music for myself and I felt rejuvenated. I didn't even realise when I fell asleep listening to music.

I woke up abruptly and felt a coughing fit coming to my throat. I started coughing badly and once it stopped, some pretty severe sneezing started. I looked at the time and it was six in the morning. The rain had stopped but I left the window open at night which might be the reason I fell sick. I scolded myself for being careless.