Prologue

Note: the story isn't in third pov. It's just the prologue.

| | | |

Prologue

San Francisco, California
16th of August.

"We're here," Anne announces, turning her car off and getting out of it.

Annalyn and Anastasia excitedly get out of the car, grasping the straps of their backpacks. They have recently moved to California and they are excited to meet new people. Annalyn had decided that she would make new friends, beside Fiona and Noah. Anastasia, however, thought that her sister, Fiona and Noah King are enough for her.

"Okay," their mother starts, crouching down in front of them. "New school. New city. You'll be completely fine, but just stay out of trouble," she warns, looking pointedly at the freckled one of her daughters.

"Why are you looking at me?" Annalyn exclaims, holding her hands out in defense.

"Because you're one who will most likely get in trouble," her twin sister replies.

Annalyn has to admit: she did get in trouble a lot, but that wasn't her intention. It was never her intention to get in trouble. She is only nine and all does she want is to have fun.

"Whatever," Annalyn huffs, crossing her arms.

Her mother laughs and kisses the top of her head. "Now, whatever you do, stay away from Luke Carter."

"Who?" The twins ask in confusion.

Anne looks around, searching for the boy with the black hair, until she spots a little boy sitting on the edge of the curb, looking down at the floor and following his feet's movement. A lot of children thought the boy is weird; he reads in a different language than English which is Italian, he doesn't talk to anyone, except his two friends and he is really smart. Some people thought that he is actually a robot, but Lucas Carter is a ten-year-old who couldn't care less.

"Him," she points at the boy and the girls turn to look at him.

"Why not? He looks nice," Annalyn comments, turning back to her mother and smiling up at her. "Is he a bad boy?" Her expression instantly changes and she frowns.

"No, he's not a bad boy, but it's better to stay away from him. Okay?"

The mother knew that it's a bit harsh to prevent the girls from talking to a boy, but she couldn't risk it. She did not want any kind of relation to the Carters in any way.

"Okay, mummy," Anastasia says while Annalyn just nods, trying to fool her mother.

"Annalyn?" The mother gives her daughter a pointed look.

"What?" She exclaims once again.

Her mother raises an eyebrow and Annalyn sighs, "I won't talk to him."

She is going to talk to him. She didn't really refer to who she's not supposed to talk to, but Anastasia knew one thing: she is going to stay away from that boy as far as possible.

"Alright," the mother says. "Have fun." She hugs her two daughters and they hug her back.

Anne pulls away from them and stands back up, "Bye, girls," she waves at them as she walks back to her car.

"Bye, mummy!" The two girls wave back as they watch their mother get in the car, send them one last wave and drive off. Anne has a feeling that a certain one of her daughters is definitely going to ignore her and go along with her own mind.