Chspter 5: He Left Me

Later that night Peter asked to speak with Caspian, and you probably know what about. Caspian approached the door to Peter's study and rapped on it quietly. Peter opened it and motioned Caspian inside. The room was dim, only lit by a single candle. Peter sank into his leather armchair behind the desk.

"You wanted to speak to me?" Caspian prompted, wondering what could be the matter.

"Yes." Peter sighed. "It's a decision regarding you and Susan." He started, not really wanting to continue. Tensions between the two were bound to happen when Peter broke the news. "Susan's my little sister and I've always looked after her for as long as I can remember." Peter was now standing at the window staring dreamily as if it was a screen projecting his childhood memories before his eyes. "And just because we're grown up - she's grown up - doesn't mean I've stopped watching out for her." He inhaled deeply as he turned back to face Caspian. "Since my father is obviously not with us it is my responsibility to step up to his position, which includes giving Susan away at her wedding. That also means you must get my permission for Susan's hand."

"Alright." Caspian nodded. "Peter, I love your sister very much, and therefore I would like your permission to have her hand in marriage. I'm sorry I did not ask sooner." Caspian said, hoping that was all Peter wanted from him.

Peter shook his head. "I'm sorry. I can't let you marry my sister right now."

"Wh-why not?" Caspian asked, wide-eyed.

"Do I have to give you my reason?" Peter said stubbornly.

"Yes. If you can't come up with a good explanation than there's no reason for us not to get married." Caspian stated. He was trying to hide his anger in order to reduce the tension that was already building, but it was beginning to show by the tone of his voice.

"I just feel it's too soon. And anyway my reason doesn't matter. I've made up my mind and there's nothing you can do about it!"
Peter drilled his angry eyes into Caspian's making sure he got the message this time.

Caspian's eyes filled with desperation, loss, and anger all at once. "I've waited three years for her to come back, I know that doesn't sound like much but I can honestly say those were the three longest years of my life." He said. His nose was twitching as it always did when he was angry. "I lost her once, and I'm not going to risk losing her again!" And with that Caspian ran out of the room slamming the door as he left.

Peter slumped into his chair. He thought he was doing what was best for his sister, but had the feeling this would only turn out for worse.

Susan sat by her fireplace, still shocked by Peter's unusual behavior. Was he mad at Caspian? Maybe he had the same fear she had before. Maybe he was afraid Caspian would break her heart again. Maybe if she talked to Peter and assured him that she trusted Caspian and knew it would never happen again, he would listen and change his mind. Susan bit at her nail debating if she should try to talk to Peter now or wait till the morning when he was cooled off.

A soft knock interrupted her thoughts. She cracked the the door open hoping to see Peter standing ready to apologize. To her dismay it was Caspian, and he didn't look happy. She opened the door wider so he could enter.

"You spoke with Peter?" Susan guessed.

"Yes, but I don't care what he says." Caspian shook his head in annoyance.

"Caspian," She put a hand on his arm. "I don't know why he doesn't approve of our marriage, but we have to respect his decision. Whether we like it or not he does have the authority to say no."

Her voice was smooth and kind. It calmed Caspian and for a minute he almost agreed with Susan, giving up his fight. Then he flashed back to the three years he had spent without her. "Susan, I've waited three years and I won't wait any longer." He gripped her upper arms and looked deep into her eyes.
"I won't lose you again."