33. new and old

[ 33. new and old ]
T A E H Y U N G

six chaps left already??

▂▂▂▂▂

In that moment, Taehyung freezes, his eyes meeting Rachel's first then flitting right to his father. He can't read their expressions, though he already knows what they're thinking.

Rachel's lips twist into a scowl, something Taehyung knows right away as the familiar look of disgust flickers in her eyes. She shakes her head and shoves her way by his dad, storming back into the house.

Taehyung gulps and glances at his father, his heart hammering in his chest when their gazes interlock.
Please dad, he thinks to himself, his shoulders beginning to shake. Please don't be mad.

"Inside now," His dad's voice is low enough for only him to hear. His tone is more colder, disappointed. Something pangs at Taehyung's chest when his father turns around, entering the house without another word.

Taehyung shoves his fingers through his hair, bottom lip quivering and fingers trembling. His eyes fall shut for a moment, jaw clenching and eyes stinging. Taehyung inhales shakily, each breath he takes a struggle as he wipes the tears off his cheeks with his sleeve.

His feet drag beneath him as he enters his own home—if he can even call it his home anymore. Taehyung immediately spots his parents in the living room, both of them staring hard at the ground, obviously repulsed by his presence. It's crazy how people who are supposed to love you can hate you too.

Carefully, Taehyung shuts the door behind him. He stands awkwardly at the front of their living room, not at all used to the presence of his parents in the same room this silent. It's been years of arguments and shouting and screaming it became normal.

Once upon a time he would have been happy to have them together without them yelling, but now, the same idea of it has his head spinning.

"You heard everything, didn't you?" Taehyung asks, his throat closing. Both of their heads turn towards him, his parents' expressions almost unreadable except Taehyung already knows what they're thinking.

Rachel shakes her head, stepping towards the mantle of the fireplace where a pack of cigarettes rest. She grabs one and sets it in her lips, her stare not once leaving Taehyung's. He gulps. She's staring at him as if he's some monster in her eyes.

It's like she's trying to pick him apart for a reason why he's like this, but he won't let her. With his last dose of fighting energy, he squares his shoulders, forcing himself to appear unbothered. It's nearly impossible, however; he can't stop shaking.

"I-I can't fucking believe this," Rachel says, lighting the cigarette perched between her lips. She chuckles to herself and takes a long drag before pursing her lips and letting out a cloud of smoke filter into the air.

"We spent so much fucking money on that brat just for it all to fail," Her voices begins to shake along with her shoulders. Taehyung can't seem to swallow anymore unless he wants to choke. He clenches his jaw, tight.

"Let's calm down and think about this first," His dad says, placing both of his hands on his sides. Rachel rolls her eyes, scoffing. She turns to face him, her cigarette dangling from her fingers.