Chapter 17

Good news...an update!! Yay!
Bad news...it's short. :(
Life just seems to be much more hectic as of late and I honestly miss writing so much. I feel like I'm getting worse at it.
Enough whining from me. Sorry for the short update again.

***************

“It’s not his fault. I kissed him but he wants to wait until I’m older to do anything.”

This was the first time ever in our lives that we had an awkward silence between us. He tried to talk but couldn’t find his voice. I, on the other hand, had a hard time even looking my brother in the eye.

“Look Kay, you’re mated now. You’re going to do things. Don’t be embarrassed.” I looked up at him and he just smiled putting my mind at ease. Big brothers are the best.

“Why is he waiting until you’re older?” Now he was dead serious, using his alpha tone with me.

“I don’t know. Alexandra thinks it’s our age gap.”

Nick crossed his arms and frowned deeply. “Where is he?”

My heart sank. I don’t want my brother to do anything stupid. V was a lot bigger, fully mature, and more experienced.

“Nick, I don’t think-“ He cut me off. “I just want to talk.”

He had to know that I knew he was lying. I could feel his rage like it was boiling inside me.

“He’s not here. He left.”

Nick paced a little bit before he stopped and walked over to me.

“Now you listen to me. Don’t let him use your age as an excuse. As a female, you are fully mature when you turn 15. 18 is when your wolf fully matures. You don’t have a teenagers body like I did, you have a woman’s body and I know he knows that. Understand me.”

I just nodded my head but it raised so many other questions. If that was true and my brother knew it, that means V obviously knew it as well. So why was he avoiding me?

“Luna.” My head snapped up to look at the warrior who had informed me that my brother had arrived. “We have a breach in the North sector.”

I nodded my head as I turned to Alexandra. The smirk plastered on her face said that she was going. I liked the idea too.

“No. You aren’t going. Your mate would kill everyone who let you go.”

“No he won’t. I’m in charge. Let’s go.”

The warrior looked as worried as Nick did but he had no choice but to listen. He bowed his head slightly as I walked out the door that he held open for me.

Stepping outside, I was confronted with a small army of warriors. I couldn’t help but drop my mouth in awe. I know this was barely a fraction of the warriors we had but it was more than I’ve ever seen gathered.

“Most of our men are either approaching or have already reached the breach point. These are your men awaiting your orders.” I was too busy staring in awe that I forgot that I’m acting in their alpha’s place.

I just nodded my head as I tried to hurry up and make a quick decision.

“I say a small group stays behind just in case any of the intruders happen to slip past our defenses. Everyone else we will break into four groups. Nick you lead one, Alexandra and…” I trailed off, realizing that I had no idea what the warriors name was.

“Sorry Luna. My name is Dante.” I gave him a quick nod before I continued giving instructions. “The 4th group will be led by Dante-“

“Luna. I’m sorry to interrupt you but I don’t think you should go with us.”

Before I could become irritated and explode Dante started to explain himself. “Luna, you can’t hear when I mindlink you.”

I tilted my head in confusion before I realized that I wasn’t fully mated to V. I wasn’t a member of this pack yet until I did, causing me to be unable to link with the other members.

I growled in frustration and looked up at Dante with a nod before I stormed back into the house. Alexandra followed after me as I walked to Brett’s office so I could do something helpful as I wait to hear news from the attack.

“Hey. Nick is still going to go so he can tell you what’s going on.” I nodded, still not willing to talk.

Alexandra just sighed as she sat down in the room. I don’t even know how long I was looking over paperwork before a light knock came ringing through my ears.

“Who is it?” I didn’t even bother to look up when the door opened.

“Well how are you doing Alexandra?”

“Fine doc. You coming to check up on me?”

“Actually I came to ask Cassie about something.” I looked up to see a slight smile on Dr. Billings face. “What can I do for you?”

“Well Ted and I are already stretched thin and I’m afraid that this recent attack is going to be the death of us. Can I just add one more nurse, just to get us by?” I shook my head. I didn’t want to go against V’s wishes while he wasn’t here.

“Use Alexandra. Then ask around and see if any of the female wolves would like to help. I’m sure they get tired of waiting around for their mates if they have no babies to look after.”

I started to look back at the paperwork on my desk before the doctor caught my attention again. He was staring at me with a smile plastered on his face. “What?”

“That’s brilliant! I don’t know why I never thought of it before. Thank you.” He smiled at me one last time before he hurried out of the door. “Come on Alexandra! There is work to be done!” Alexandra groaned before she got up and followed after the doctor.”

“You owe me one.” I just laughed as I went back to the work at hand.

***

“It has to be Aiden. No one else is that stupid.”

I agreed with Brett but that didn’t make him automatically guilty. While we were in the 4th district I found out that they weren’t embezzling. Instead they bought all the materials at an inflated price from a company that disappeared over night. Talk about convenient.

Aiden probably had something to do with it but he didn’t act alone. Even if it was him, why?

I was deep in my thoughts when I heard Dante calling for me through mindlink.

“What?”

“We have a breach on the north sector. Just giving you a heads up since I’m staying with Luna at the mansion.”

I slammed my fist against the wall in frustration. Was this all a ploy to get me away from my mate? If so, the breach was a distraction.

”Stay with her no matter what, and don’t let her leave that house! Understand?!”

“Yes alpha.”

”Ayo V, what’s up man?”

I didn’t bother answering Brett because there was no time to. I could tell him on the way.

I knew that Brett would follow after me since there was nothing else to be done at that district anyways.

As soon as the fresh air hit me I shift and took off at a dead run back towards my mate. I should have known better than to leave her. I should have just stayed when she kissed me.

“V.”

I quickly shook off all my thoughts and kept running while answering Brett back through mindlink. “This was all a diversion. They’re going for Cassie.”