The Letter

The first day since Claire left passed quite slow, the fact that we have still not received a letter or any news of what the house in which she was sorted was playing on my nerves and patience. Although, William would never scold me for not paying full attention to my work, I felt guilty that now my mind was occupied with the Hogwarts Houses and in which my daughter will be put in. She held characters for each of them and no matter how many times I was repeating to myself that she would most probably end up in Ravenclaw, due to her curiosity and ability to concentrate for hours in a given task, I couldn't help but wonder if all that really mattered? After all, we were all given a choice while the hat was on our heads and the House you wanted to be in the most was the one in which you were most likely to be sorted in. But where did Claire wish to be placed? True, she loved me and Fred dearly, and always listened with excitement about stories of our houses, but there was William who was a Slytherin and whom she loved as a second father. Although, she never heard stories about Slytherin's, she could easily assume that she could find people like Will there and be happy. 
"If I ever need to bet in a staring contest, I will make sure to bid on you, Paige." William's voice snapped me out of my train of thoughts. 
Shaking my head, I put down the hand on which my chin was resting on and met his bright eyes. 
"I am sorry, Will." Breathing out the words, I rubbed my forehead with the tips of my fingers, shoulders lowering down in defeat. 
"I am sure the letter will come soon, don't worry." His smile caused hope to bloom in my heard that maybe he is right and that perhaps tonight the letter will be delivered. 
"I hope you're right." Looking at the time, I noticed that my working day was at its end, so I began cleaning my desk. "It's just that it is the first time she is not around me. And without hearing a word from her is..." The movements of my hands were expressing frustration and so William caught them between his hands, making me stop and look at him. 
"Hey, hey..." His soft voice whispered, while his hand reached to caress my cheek. "It will be fine. I am sure she is fine." 
   Once my nerves calmed down, I headed back home, the big house where now there was no laughter to be heard and instead of the supportive husband, Fred was still being stubborn about his thoughts over the Houses. It was like a silent agreement to not discuss this topic, until the letter arrives, because clearly none would bend their opinion and we will continue to fight. But even with that silent contract between us, things were edgy. I knew he wanted more kids, but I was simply not ready. Although, now there was no danger in our world, I still did not feel safe enough to build a big family in it. The world was unstable, a lot of things were still struggling to be left in the past and all great wounds required time. Time which I was willing to give, but Fred for some reason was rushing. 
   Opening the front door to enter inside the house, I noticed that Fred had already returned and was in the kitchen. 
"I'm home." I called out, while taking off my heels and went directly where he was, noticing the letter in his hands and the aura of tension around him. 
"Is it from Claire?" I rushed, to read it from his hands, but he simply left it on the table and walked past. 
"Hope you're happy now?" I arched my brow at him  and picked the note, smiling immediately once seeing our daughter's handwriting. She had a thing for writing and making stories, the talent to express herself in a very poetical way, to tell stories that even the adults will be entertained to listen, it was something I was very proud of. In the letter she was letting us know that she quickly made friends with kids from hers and the other houses, and how excited she is about all, how beautiful the castle is and that she really loves the green colour on her uniform. My heard skipped a beat. A Slytherin. No wonder Fred was pissed. 
   Following to the living room where he sat, I looked at him with disappointment holding the letter in my hand still. 
"Is that why you are so grumpy?" I asked, not bothering into hiding the annoyance in my voice. "Our daughter wrote us she is happy, that she made friends and how excited she is. And all you care is the House she is in?" His hazel eyes moved up to meet my blue ones, narrowing them slightly. 
"She is a Weasley, Paige, what do you imagine will happen to her there?" His voice was higher than usual. 
"You clearly did not read the letter, but just one sentence." My hand began to wave the paper in front of him. 
"I did, love. I did many times. But this is now. What do you think will happen in few days, once all the teases start?" He stepped closer to me, snatching the letter from my hands. 
"Things have changed!" I tried to defend, but he believed not a single word of it. 
"No they have not, Paige!" He was starting to walk around the room with frustration. "Why was she even sorted there. She was supposed to be in Ravenclaw. I thought of it so many times, she is perfect for that house! Why?" 
"How will I know?" I realized that we were screaming at each other and tried to calm down for it was no use. "You know that it is the own choice that counts the most." I began to explain, but I seemed to have stepped in a minefield. 
"And how come this is her own choice?" Despite me lowering my voice, he did not seem to follow my lead. "We never even told her anything of that House, how?" Suddenly, he stopped and looked at me with serious eyes. "Is she mine?" For a second my spine became cold. 
"Have you gone mad, Weasley?" My eyes widened with disbelief. 
"Answer me!" His yell, made me jump at my spot, never in my life have I seen him that angry. 
"Of course." My arms spread aside, as if asking what else he could expect. 
"Every time he is around she runs to him with such joy. Sometimes people mistake him to be the father, because she doesn't even look like me." His eyes began to tear up and I began to realize for how long he had been holding these things. "And now you are telling me she willingly decided to be a Slytherin?" 
"Fred..." I whispered and went towards him, but his hand stopped me from stepping closer. "Fred, it is not like that. She loves you far more than she loves William, it is just that you've been so focused with work that you did not have that much time, and when you were returning home you were tired." I began to explain in calm and patient tone. "While Will, he just expresses his happiness when he sees her, he is silly and agrees to her games and fantasies." My words did not seem to ease his pain, in fact he began to feel guilty. 
"So, I should quit what I am doing?" He snapped, which made me want to grab something and smash it in his head. As much as I loved him, at times he could drive me insane with his stubbornness. 
"That's not what I've said!" Feeling that I raised up my voice again, I took a deep breath. "Look, it is done. This is her choice and she is happy. I was going to be far happier if she was in my House, but she is not and all I can do it be happy for her." Stepping closer to him, this time he allowed me to embrace him. 
"I am just afraid they will torture her there." He breathed out and wrapped his arms around me, seeking comfort. 
"They won't, she is a prankster like you after all. I am sure she will not allow anyone to do her no good." A soft chuckle escaped my lips and I felt him pull away to cup my face between his hands. 
"I'm sorry." Leaning down, I gladly accepted his lips, happy that this topic was over. "You know..." His voice became husky and a smile of mischief was displayed on his face. "We are alone now." 
"Then what are you waiting for?" I asked knowing very well what he had in mind and with a blink of an eye I was tossed over our bed, where for the first time in years we could be loud and wild.