Alternate Ending [ 03 ]

☆ ☆ ☆

CAMILLE

I look over at Steve from the passenger's seat as he drove, a question gnawing at the back of my mind.

Steve seems to pick up on that, gently giving my hand that was interlaced with his a squeeze as he stole a glance at me.

"Why are you staring at me like that?" He asks.

I shift in my seat, crossing my legs under me. Unsure if I should ask him about whatever's on my mind.

"Nothing." I answer, "I was just thinking."

"What about?" He presses on.

"Well, now that it's actually possible, ever thought of going back to the Forties?" I asked, "You could get your life back."

Steve glances at me again, obviously taken aback by my question.

"Eyes on the road, handsome." I tease, playfully reaching over to nudge his face, directing his gaze back onto the road.

He chuckles, before his face soon turns serious, brows knitting together in deep thought.

"I've actually never even considered the option." He replies, "So, I guess not."

"You should." I reply before gazing out the window.

As hard as the idea of Steve leaving is, he deserved to have his life back. One that was so abruptly taken from him. I knew if I were him, I would have wanted it back too.

The rest of the drive was silent as the both of us got lost in our thoughts. I could tell a part of him misses the life he had, the one he never got to properly live out. If you love something, set it free. That's what they always say, right?

Before we knew it, we had arrived at our destination, where Bruce had already finished setting up the newly built quantum tunnel with the help of Sam and Bucky.

"Alright, Cap." Sam says, pushing a case towards Steve that contained the six Stones. "They're all yours."

"Remember, you have to return the stones at the exact moment you got them or you're going to open a bunch of nasty alternative realities." Bruce reminds, looking more nervous than Steve does.

"Don't worry, Bruce." Steve replies, "I'll clip all the branches."

"Good luck, Cap." He says with a firm nod.

"Thanks, Bruce." Steve replies before turning to me.

He reaches over, taking my hand in his and brings it up to his lips to plant a kiss on the back of it.

"I'll see you in a little bit, okay?" He says with a smile.

"Yeah, maybe." I mumble to myself.

"What?" Steve, who clearly didn't catch what I've said, furrows his brows at me.

I shook my head, "Nothing."

Reaching into my pocket, I dug out the small glass vial that I've managed to grab an extra of from Tony and stuffed it into his hand.