23 - Entangled Part 2

The unwanted companion walked adjacent to Jai-Jai in silence. Her eyes flicked from the back of Rhistel's head to the man beside her. Sen's hands were in his pockets, his usual impeccable posture disrupted by the hunch in his shoulders.

"Are we going to walk in silence, or will you say what you need to and be done with this matter?"

Sen sighed. "You never beat around the bush, do you?"

"I've never seen the point." Jai-Jai balled her fists to keep from biting her nails, a nasty habit she'd relapsed into. However, sewer water flavoured fingers weren't top of her list to taste.

"Portstown is my last stop."

Jai-Jai almost stopped. She'd known that Sen wouldn't be traveling with them forever, and at the beginning, she'd relished in the fact that he'd be out of her hair. The farther he was, the better. But now, her feelings were mixed. The fear of someone discovering her past ate at her every second he stayed near. However, within their truce, she'd found a hint of friendship with him, if she could even call it that. An amicable agreement had settled between the two and Jai-Jai felt shocked to find that she'd miss her sparring partner.

"Will you tell the others?" Jai-Jai's eyes followed the tattooed swirls and runes that snaked around Rhistel's neck and the back of her head.

"Not right away. After this morning's disaster, I don't want to lower the moral even more with the news."

"Are you returning to Tanvell?"

Sen shook his head. "Not right away. I have another stop before I return."

"Where might that be?"

"Everyone has their secrets, don't they?" said Sen. The look he gave her irked Jai-Jai.

Turning her nose up at him, Jai-Jai retorted, "what are you trying to say?"

"Nothing, why? Are you hiding something?" His voice was playful, "If you tell me who you are, then I'll gladly tell you where I'll be traveling."

Jai-Jai snorted. "That's an unfair trade."

"Is it? If you know my location, you could send someone to assassinate me."

"Please, I'm no coward. When I kill you, it'll be by my own hands. So don't let anyone else decapitate your head before then."

"Is that your odd way of saying be safe?"

Laugher bubbled in her chest. "In your dreams."

"I see enough of your face all day. If I did sleep, I'd like a moment of peace away from you." Sen grunted when Jai-Jai elbowed him in the ribs.

"It would be an honour to dream of me." Searching her pockets, Jai-Jai bit the inside of her cheeks to stop from smiling. Pulling her hand out, she raised a finger to the vampire.

Sen made a face. "Who taught you how to swear?"

"Mara."

"That kid, I have no clue where she gets this stuff. She really-"

"She said you taught her."

"Really needs to learn to keep her mouth shut."

Rolling her eyes, Jai-Jai sped up her walking pace, the smile still plastered on her face.

                                                            ⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

The sun was well into the sky before they met up with the remaining two of their group. Rhistel ran straight to her sister, who was sitting wrapped in a blanket. The injured elf was pale, her eyes bloodshot and nose pink with cold. Each time the wind blew, she drew the cover closer. Rhistel's veins pulsed red as she took her sister into her arms. Alanis visibly relaxed, eyes closing as she snuggled closer.