Summary Workshop

The Wattys are also now requiring a 500-word (or 3500 characters) summary of your book on the form to enter. These can sometimes be daunting to write, but we want to help you construct the best summary possible!

WHAT IS A SUMMARY?

A summary is a description of your story that spoils everything. This is where we know what happens, who it happens to, and what the final outcome is. Don't hold yourself back on those big, shocking moments. This is where you want to scream (okay, maybe not scream) from the rooftops about your favorite twists and turns in your story. Oftentimes a summary will be described as a synopsis. Spoilers are wanted.

Usually, character names are in caps when they are first introduced into the summary. Such as: BETH gets a research assignment. CLARK knows the truth. When Clark tells Beth she should ask for an exemption, she knows something is up.

Your summary should generally cover the things you would see in narrative structure. Narrative structure can be divided into three acts. With 500 words, try to show these acts in five paragraphs.

Act One (paragraph one):

This should introduce the reader to:

1. Who your protagonist is

2. What the conflict is -- including stakes (if they don't accomplish x, y will happen)

3. Where the setting is

Act Two (paragraph 2-4):

This is the central part of the story. This is where we see those big twists and turns that develops the characters and the world around them. Look at the important turning points in the middle of your story, and put them here. How do your characters grow? Why do they grow? This usually ends with the climax of the story before you move into Act Three.

Act Three (paragraph 5):

This is the big finish! Your conflict should be resolving itself. This is where the overall plot of the book is coming to a close (even if it's in a series, each book should have one central plot).

TRY IT YOURSELF AND GET CRITIQUES!

Okay, now that you've read about how to write a summary fit for the Wattys, you'll probably want some feedback on your summary. We'll be offering critiques in two ways, so here's how you'll do it. Don't forget -- 500 words is the maximum!

Writing your summary in the comments:

If you want to write your summary in the comments, you may need to separate it into two comments because of the limit. If this happens, write the first half of your summary and then directly comment under the second part. This is so that the summary is kept together.

Using Google Docs

The other option is write your summary in Google Docs, and then pasting a shareable link in the comment section here. This way, it's all together! You must make sure the document is shareable, or else we won't be able to see it!

Giving and getting feedback

Feedback will happen in the comments section of this post, even for Google Docs. Before you post your summary, please critique someone elses. A critique shouldn't simply be, "hey, this was good!" While we, of course, love positivity, a critique should be helpful and guide the person with how they can improve. What questions did you feel the summary didn't answer? Were there some things that confused you?

GOOD LUCK!

If you need help, please do ask in the comments. We want to see you succeed!