Chapter Six: She Wishes for Wings

Drake saw me looking at him. "I'm not agreeing to whatever you're thinking." I lit up another cigarette.

Rose's shoulders tensed.

"You have a plan?" Rose said.

"Yup."

"I didn't-"

I rolled my eyes. "I know you didn't ask, but you're here and this plan is going to work."

Rose frowned. She didn't look convinced.

"You don't-"

I smiled. "I'm going to help. Will it help if you don't have to face Jordan?"

Rose stopped. Her face looked panicked. Okay, I was beginning if this woman ever had anyone ever help her without some alternative motive. Her eyes grew big and she buried her fingers in the fabric of her pants. 

She nodded. 

"But she's violent." Rose said. "And she hates you."

"She hates you?" Drake said, looking between the two of us. He wore an expression similar to mine.

"Why does she hate me?" I said. "I haven't done anything to her. I haven't met her until last night."

"She could hate you for taking her bedmate from her on your first meeting," Drake noted as I glared at him. "It's the truth, I don't know why you're glaring at me." 

Rose sucked in her lips as she picked up the controller. 

"I talked about work a lot." She said.

And we did end up working together a lot. I had the vague notion that Rose left something out, but I wasn't going to ask if she wasn't going to tell me. I can't push her now.

"I don't want you to get hurt because of me." Rose said.

"It's fine," I said. "I'm pretty durable." I forgot that smiling makes me look scary. "I know someone who can help me." 

"I'm not doing it," Drake said as I glared at him.

"Jordan is strong."

"Ah, trust me, the person I know is much scarier than Jordan ever could be."

Rose held her legs to her chest. She looked small and younger than usual. She sucked in her lips and she wouldn't look at me. Her toes curled. She wasn't wearing the fake nails now.

Lowell always liked to tell me that he just wants to hug me tightly and carry me away since I'm so cute. This is Lowell's excuse to hug me until the bones in my back popped or to pick me up and swing me around. I didn't get the feeling until I looked at Rose now. I just wanted to hug her and make everything better for her.

"Make a list of things you might want from your place and I'll get rid of Jordan." I said. "When is the best time to go over?"

"Monday, she likes going out drinking then." Rose said.

"Sounds like a good time." I said. I stretched my arms above my head. "I think I'm going to make some tea. Did you want anything?"

"Uhh, no."

I got up and went over to start some tea. Drake followed me and glared.

"I'm not agreeing to this."

I ignored him.

"This is a bad idea. I'm supposed to protect you and injecting yourself into other's problems won't help you." Drake said. "It'll only cause more problems."