Chapter 14: Promises Were Made To Be Broken."

status: unedited

status: unedited

▪ ♡ ▪ ♡ ▪ ♡ ▪ ♡ ▪ ♡ ▪ ♡ ▪ ♡ ▪ ♡ ▪

Key
Bold - Vanya
Regular - Y/N

3 years later...
Five and I are sitting in his room and relaxing. It's our hour of free time before lunch and we're trying to make the most of it.

Except this time, the roles are reversed. Normally I'm the energetic one and Five is just quietly seated. Today, Five is full of tension and I'm reading a book on his bed.

The raven haired boy is pacing up and down the room, scribbling furiously in a small notebook. I'm indulging in a new work of fiction.

Suddenly, Five breaks the comfortable silence and says "Y/N, I'm going to time travel." The atmosphere changes at once. I slam my book shut "No way." "Yes way." "Five, no. You heard what Dad has told you before. It's too dangerous! You promised you would never leave me, remember?"

Five's stoic expression doesn't change. A year ago, he would have caved at once and apologised profusely for forgetting his vow. But after one horrible mission, he changed.

Something was different about him; he was no longer sweet, even in private. His green eyes were only filled with anger and something else, never joy.

I tried talking to him, to convince him what he did was an accident, that it wasn't his fault. But he clung firmly to the belief that he had murdered a man.

During one of our missions, Five was fighting back against a man by himself. I wanted to help him, but I thought he could take care of himself and I was distracted by the man lunging at me. Five twisted the gun to face the robber, intending to intimidate him, but the thief pulled the trigger. A bullet lodged itself in his brain, instantly killing him.

A piece of Five was lost that day, and I was worried he would forever remain an incomplete puzzle.

"Y/N, I have to do this. It's a part of my powers I have to try out. No matter the risk," he defends his actions. "Five, even I have a part of my powers I haven't tried out! What if I looked into an animal's eye? Would I transform into an animal, thus enhancing myself? Would I be able to return to my normal self using the small brain of a bird, for example?", I retort.

Pausing for a second to catch my breath, I continue "The point is, we all have things to try out. But we don't do them. The risks far outweigh the benefits if it worked." The boy I once liked stares me dead in the eyes and replies "Well, I'm sure it'll work, so there are no risks."

I'm about to argue further, but I hear the lunch bell clanging from downstairs. I roll my eyes and run out of the room, away from this monstrous version of Five.

I hear the record playing before I even enter the room.

During extreme weather conditions, a climber must possess the wisdom to determine when evacuation is inevitable.