Chapter 31

Khloe's POV:

My eyes fluttered open ever so slightly as I woke up to what I wake up to basically every morning.

Nico getting out of bed.

He always tried not to wake me up while doing this, but he's only succeeded once.

Unfortunately, his days start a lot earlier than mine and I only ever get to truly wake up to him by my side on very rare occasions.

Which wasn't completely bad. Usually, I'd be able to fall asleep for a little while before Marcus came by my room and Doe's and knocked a specific knock that told us to get ready and head over for breakfast.

But still. Even sometimes on those days, I'd rather be sleeping in with Nico.

Then Id wake up to the sound of his heartbeat and even breathing, feeling the soft touch of his fingers down my back or in my hair since he almost always woke up before me.

I'd pull myself closer to him, not quite wanting to wake up yet and inhale that addicting yet faint smell he always had.

He'd return the favor by tightening his hold on me, holding me there for some time before peppering me with soft, languid kisses.

I craved those days.

A tinge of sadness filled my mind, as he gently removed his arm from around me, replacing the blanket that had moved in the process.

He had been away so much lately.

I guess he was serious about his father pushing responsibilities onto him.

I watched through half-lidded eyes as he stood from the bed and into the bathroom.

He always showered during the day so his morning routine was a fairly short one.

I turned my head, taking hold of one of the longer pillows Nico kept on the other side of this ridiculously huge bed and putting it where he was just laying.

Recently, I figured out that I slept better while holding on to something, and when Nico wasn't around, I had to figure something else out.

My attention turned back to the door as Nico exited the bathroom with his newly brushed hair.

His shoulders slumped just a noticeable amount at the sight of the pillow in my arms before he walked out of my view and into the closet.

I absentmindedly traced my fingers around the pillowcase, wishing now more than most mornings that it was Nico instead.

Of course, I understood that he had other responsibilities other than me, but I couldn't help but miss him and yearn for him whenever he wasn't here.

I relaxed into the bed with a sigh, bringing my knees up towards my chest.

I guess waiting till after The Lord's/my birthday wasn't too bad.

It was only like a week and a half away...

I hugged the pillow closer to my body as Nico left the closet, noticing that he only changed into a pair of black jeans, keeping the shirt he slept in on.

Which either meant he planned on coming back to change after breakfast, or that he wasn't in the mood to try today.

The second option seemed more likely.

I kept my eyes on him as he approached, his still sleepy smile making an appearance.

At least in the mornings I still had this.

My own smile reached my face as his fingers skimmed my cheeks before he leaned down and placed a soft kiss on my lips.

I set my hands on the back of his neck, trying to lengthen this kiss.