Chapter 18

Lisa's POV

Chaeng and I decided to have Thai food tonight. I haven't had Thai in a while and I really missed it. We ate on the couch while watching TV. When we finished eating, I noticed she looked a little upset.

"You didn't like it?"

"No, I loved it."

"What's wrong, then? You look upset," I said as I tuck her hair behind her ear.

She seemed hesitant at first. "Lisa, I want to ask you something and I need you to tell me the truth."

"Okay," I said as I turned off the TV.

"Is it true you got expelled for dealing drugs?"

I heaved a sigh and answered, "Yes. It is true."

"Why did you never mention this to me before?"

"Well, you never asked and it's not something I'm proud of."

"Do you still do drugs?"

"What!? No!"

"Do you still sell?"

"Oh my god. What are you a cop now?"

"You haven't answered my question."

I know I couldn't lie to her. "I still sell, Chaeng. Because I need the money."

"Lisa... you don't have to do this. You have a job. You're doing just fine."

"You don't understand, Chaeng. I owe someone."

"I'm just trying to help you, Lisa. I know you're still recovering. I don't want you to end up like Jennie," she said. "Shit. That came out wrong. I'm sorry, I—"

I started fuming. "So that's what this is all about, huh? You think I'm some kind of a project you need to fix? Does my trauma turn you on? Is that it?"

"What!? That's not what I meant!"

"Then what do you mean?"

"Lisa, I—"

"No, that's exactly what you meant. You know what your problem is? You keep trying to fix other people's problem 'cause you can't fix your own!"

"I care about you, Lisa! I don't understand why you can't see that!"

"No, you don't. You just wanna hang around me so you can feel better about yourself. I don't need you to feel sorry for me, Chaeng. Just leave!"

"Lisa, please—"

"Get the hell out!!"

She left the room with tears in her eyes.

Later that night, I couldn't sleep. I tried texting and calling Chaeng, but she wouldn't answer her phone. I knocked on her door, but she wouldn't open up either.

I decided to give her some space for now. I went back to my room and called it a night.