3

9:00 PM

I took a deep breath. In and out. In and out. This was it! He totally wanted me to be here. Yes. Totally -totally wanted me here!! You got this, Mercy; you are a big girl. A big, brave girl who can approach a man! Well — a very sexy man in a bar. An illegally hot man. Who happened to write sexy SciFi for your publisher. Who can probably make you come undone with the flick of his tongue. Imagine what's inside his pants!

Oh yes, brain—thank you for making this so much easier. Deep breaths. Focus, you idiot.

My eyes scanned the bar. Warm bodies packed every inch of the smoke-filled room. People talked closely to each other. Men and women caressing each other's bodies with drinks in their hands. Their murmurs barely audible above the loud music booming from the speakers above.
'Fuck' I cursed to myself. My thighs rubbed against each other. The need for friction between my legs at the mere sight of people touching and caressing.

I didn't realize how much I needed a night out on the town. I needed a touch, a caress, a kiss, God I needed someone, it had been so long. Too long for one human to take. After seeing all these attractive people with meat between their legs. I didn't care if it was C.J. who made my dreams come true.

He probably wasn't interested in me, anyway. I was a short, frumpy, college graduate blindly feeling her way through adulthood. Plus--- he was wayyyyy out of my league. Wayyyy too hot for little ole me. But I'd still try, I guess. I promised the girls I'd give it my best efforts.

I walked toward the bar, pulling my small clutch closer to my chest. My eyes constantly scanned the hundreds of faces around me. Desperately searching for the one I wanted to see. My lonely heart dropped into the depths of my stomach. Stomach acid grinding my pitiful heart into smithereens, and blending it into nothing. Fuck.

The one time I had the courage to come out by myself. He was about as elusive as the pages he promised Reese two years ago; non-existent. You know where to find me, bullshit. Now don't get me wrong, there were tons of attractive men lining the bar looking for a woman to complete their night. But not the very writer I wanted to literally sink my teeth into, among other body parts.

I sat down in a huff at an empty bar stool, propping my elbows onto the uncomfortably sticky bar. I took my phone out and stared at the bright screen. Do I tell them I failed? Do I tell them this idiot wasn't here yet?

My Girls:

Me: my mission will not be complete.... he's not even here! I whined aloud at my misfortune. My core wanted to untangle from the knot it had crawled into the moment I had seen him. But with my luck, it'd be wound so tight for the foreseeable future. I'd become a nun, a sexless, sexually frustrated, nun!

Amanda: u went to the bar at 9 what do u expect?

Yvette: Get a drink, drink one for me, and he might show. Have patience!!

Patience was not my virtue, and those bitches knew it.

"I see they let anyone in here these days," came a cool, low voice from behind my back. I closed my eyes and internally groaned at the sound of his smug voice.

"What do you want, Neil?" I took a quick shot of tequila, turning in my stool towards him.
He hadn't changed a bit in the last 6 months since we had dated. Still sporting his pink collared shirt, loose-fitting jeans, and dirty blonde hair. Not to mention that stupid look on his pug-nosed face. What did I ever see in him again?

He smirked, "saw you here all by your lonesome. Thought I'd come to see if you needed any company, for old time's sake." He stepped closer to me, alcohol wafting from his pores. My stomach churned at his words. Making burning stomach acid rise in the back of my throat, making me want to hurl all over his over priced shoes.

I raised my lip like Elvis, "and Tiffany?? Where'd she go off to?" I scanned the bar looking for his blonde tramp. The same blonde tramp he had dicked down instead of me. Over his desk, at work, when he was supposed to meet me for lunch. Which to my horror and surprise, I walked in on. Imagine him, mid grunt and her squealing his name like the little piggy she was. Oh—the nightmares of that event played through my mind for months. After I had smashed a glass against the wall of his office. Crying because he cheated on me and crying because I was stupid enough to stay with him after everything. But that one? That was my final straw.