Ch. 11

"Tony? Where on earth are you? You were supposed to be at the meeting five minutes ago!"

Tony pursed his lips, awkwardly glancing at the quiet teenager he had in his front seat. "Well, you see, Pep-"

She cut him off. "Don't you dare try to make one of your excuses, Tony. You better get here now."

"Pep."

There was a half second of silence in her end before she groaned in exasperation. "What did you do this time?"

"Me? Wait- what? No! I didn't do anything!"

She gave a small hum of disbelief.

"No no- Pep you need to meet me at the tower. Rhodey too."

"How much trouble can you possibly get up to in three hours?"

Tony glanced at Peter, who was smirking, all too obviously enjoying his stammering. "You shush."

Pepper stopped talking suddenly. Then... "I'm sorry, what? What did you just say to me?"

"No no no! Pep! Not you! I was talking to-" he glared at Peter, who was laughing into his hand. "Just- please. Meet me? I promise I'm not hurt, it isn't bad, and you're going to love it." Him, he added silently.

"Fine. Fine. I'll be there in twenty minutes. You owe me for covering for you."

"I know, Pep. You're the common sense to my stupidity, the no to my yes, the-"

He could hear her laughing. "Yes yes. I'm aware."

"Yup. Love you, bye."

He pocketed the phone with a sigh, glancing back at the kid- his kid. His son.

"This is gonna be awkward."

Peter raised his eyebrow. "Only if you make it that way."

"So," he added conversationally. "Are you two- a thing?"

There was an awkward silence before he reiterated, waving his hands. "I mean you two were so close when I lived there, and I know for a fact that you like her a lot, and you literally just said you loved her so in my defense it's a natural question!"

Tony shook his head tiredly. "Yup. We're together. Have been for a while."

Peter nodded as he digested that information. "Guess she's not my aunt Pepper anymore, is she?"

His question was more of a statement, which Tony had no idea how to reply.

When they stepped through the doors of SI, they were greeted by Friday's voice.

"Hello Boss. Hello Peter."

Peter grinned. "She recognizes me! Hi Friday!"

"Of course, Peter."

Tony pulled him to the elevator. "Penthouse please, Fri."

"Yes boss."

When the elevator opened, Pepper and Rhodey were standing by the couch talking in lowered voices.

They looked up.