78 | When

It was crazy.

It was necessary.

Either way, Miren found herself on an Uber to Jeno's home. Yes, the home that was four hours away by train - not including the thirty minute ride to his home in the suburbs of Philadelphia. And in that time she still could not come up with an excuse to justify her presence in the world's most personal family matter.

She held an overpriced bouquet in her hands so hard that she was surprised she hadn't squeezed the life out of the roses. When the Uber dropped her off around noon and she started for the home's grand entrance, she started to mentally rehearse whatever it was she'd have to say to not look like Jeno's disgruntled ex. The last thing she needed was Dr. Edsel calling out their problematic romance.

"Homophobic asshole," she whispered under her breath, knocking on the door before she could talk herself out of it.

No plan. No explanation. She was here. Ready to unravel everything.

However, the tables were turned when Dr. Rutherford opened the door. Jeno's mother--Janice--raised an eyebrow before a wide grin spread on her lips.

"Miles? Wow, it's been quite some time since I've seen you! You've grown!" She widened the door for Miren to enter. "Come on in!"

"Thank you," Miren said softly. But to say her brain was short circuiting would have been an understatement. What the fresh hell is going on right now? Her eyes were wide until Dr. Rutherford turned around.

"These flowers are beautiful. Thank you, you're so considerate," she said, taking the flowers from her as they crossed the foyer. "Jeno will appreciate them."

Wait. Miren stopped in her tracks, her mind now resetting. When Janice realized Miren wasn't following, she spun around, studying her expression.

"I've been trying to reach Jeno for days now," Miren finally got out. "He mentioned something was wrong with you at prom...Dr. Edsel's assistant said something about the hospital...and I put two and two together and..." Janice pulled her into a hug before she could go on.

"I'm sure it's a lot to process. Please follow me," she said upon releasing Miren, taking her hand like the confused child she was. "I'll explain everything."

The doctor led her upstairs, and with each step Miren's heart threatened to leave her chest. Her ears were ringing and her breathing was suddenly compromised as they stopped in front of Jeno's room. Janice rapped on the door a few times before turning to Miren.

"He's not answering. Just let me take a peak first," she said, turning the doorknob and peering in. It was only a few seconds, but Miren's brain had already exploded and impulse took over. She widened the door, and her heart dropped to her stomach as her eyes landed on Jeno.

He was sleeping, but that wasn't the extent of it. His left arm was in a black fiberglass cast that stopped at his elbow and swallowed most of his hand. He had a bandage on the right part of his forehead, another on his left cheek. Shallow abrasions and bruises could be seen on the exposed skin of his free arm and chest.

"What happened?" Miren could only croke, doing everything she could to stop the tears spilling out of her eyes. Jeno's mother only sighed before shutting the door carefully.

"There was a car accident," she began, leading Miren back downstairs, to the kitchen. "We didn't want the story getting out, hence why it hasn't been disclosed to the school or the news. And the other girls - bless their souls - are minors. But I'm sure the news will get out soon enough." Dr. Rutherford went on to tell her the earth shattering news - that Jeno was headed back to Gloveria with Chara and Penelope when they were in a hit and run. The drunk students celebrating prom from a different high school were intercepted yesterday. They were unscathed. Unharmed.