81 | Over

The morning after was just like any other.

Virginity was obviously a societal construct, but Miren expected to feel different. Maybe it was because she woke up alone--which was to be expected. Dr. Rutherford made it back around eleven, and as both a mother and doctor, assessed Jeno's injuries in his room.

By the time Miren entered the main house, it was just after seven in the morning. The train back to Connecticut would be leaving around ten, but it was hard to sleep when thoughts of the prior night kept rising like air. She was giddy as she crossed the kitchen, far to giddy for the hour. It was just hard to believe that they had finally done it.

And it wasn't awkward or weird--it was everything she never could have known she'd wanted. Jeno was everything she could have hoped to want.

"Good morning, Miles," Dr. Rutherford then said from the study, probably hearing her steps. "How did you sleep?"

Just like that, Miren's grin evaporated. Gravity turned on and the reality of what she'd done hit her like a slap to the face. Dr. Rutherford allowed her to stay in her guest house, and how did she repay her? By fucking her son in said guest house.

Three times.

She took a deep breath before stepping into the study, the welcoming mahogany doors suddenly like the gates to hell. But to her surprise, she wasn't met by Jemma's jolly mom--but a sullen woman. Janice's eyes were red, swollen from crying. She was still wearing scrubs from her surgery, her dark-brown shoulder length locks were in a messy ponytail.

"Dr. Rutherford?" Miren said in a hush, before clearing her throat. "Is everything alright? Did you lose the patient?"

"No," she rubbed her temple before slouching further against her black office chair. "The patient is fine. But Jeno isn't."

Miren's heart dropped into her stomach. "What's wrong with him? Where is he?"

"Your guess is probably as good as mine," she said, handing Miren her phone. "He wasn't in his room last night. And he texted me this around five in the morning."

Miren could no longer breathe when she started reading the message. But it was a feeble effort--he vision was suddenly spotty, and the words brought no relief.

Jeno: Thank you for everything. But I can't stay here, and I can't tell you where I am right now. Tell Miles I'm sorry and that I'll tell him the truth when I'm ready. Try not to worry about me. I'll be in contact soon.

An eternity had passed when Dr. Rutherford carefully took the device from Miren's trembling hands.

"He also sent me an audio file," the doctor went on. "He overheard Roger admitting what he did to you. " Her eyes were filled with tears again. "I want you to know that I am so sorry, and I will make sure that Roger won't get away with this, Miles."

"No, I don't want that to happen. That can't happen." Miren shook her head, a waterfall of frustrated tears streaming from her eyes. "And I'm not Miles."

"What do you mean?" Dr. Rutherford said. Miren simply sighed deeply before taking off her sweater and tossing it to the floor before Dr. Rutherford could object.

"My name is Miren Eze. I am the girl from St. Rosemunde that--"

"Died in the fire?" Dr. Rutherford finished, her eyes widening. "But how? Why? Did Jeno know?"

"He knew. I transferred to Rinzen undercover because I was being bullied. But when the story about my locket and the body being found in the fire broke out, I ran with it. I should have come clean but I didn't want to go back. What I did was stupid and selfish."

"You're damn straight!" The woman, now on full mom mode, scoffed before wiping her eyes with her hand that wasn't balled in a fist. "What were you two thinking?"

"I wasn't," Miren shook her head--her stupid head. "I'm so sorry."

"No, I'm sorry I didn't pick up on this." She rose to her feet, approaching Miren. They were of similar height, but the doctor towered her in authority and stability. It took everything for Miren not to flinch, especially when the the woman hugged her. "I can only imagine how hard and confusing this has all been for you."

"It doesn't make it any less my fault," Miren mumbled, her eyes swelling with even more tears. "Jeno and Penelope and Chara are hurt. An indirect or not, I played a role in their pain."

"You care about Jeno," Dr. Rutherford then said, before releasing Miren from their embrace. " You really love him, don't you?"

Miren's lip quivered; she didn't know how she was still capable of crying with all the tears she had already shed. She nodded. "I do."

"Then promise me you won't give up on him. Even if he wants to give up on himself." She squeezed Miren's arm, an intense, but comforting gaze stabilizing hers. "He just needs some space. I don't know if I believe in a higher power, but I have faith everything will work out in the end. Please know that you are always welcome at our home."

And with that, Dr. Rutherford's phone started ringing. She sighed deeply. "I have to take this--it's an update on the Whipple."

Miren nodded, before stepping out of the room, then the mansion, then finally the train station. It wasn't until she was on the train itself that her brain finally updated, was finally capable of processing everything that had just happened. Jeno had given her a taste of her own medicine and had disappeared.

Dr. Rutherford never explicitly said that she'd keep her secret, or that there wouldn't be any severe ramifications for what she had done.

She closed her eyes, her tear ducts incapable of producing any more tears. Either way, she didn't want to cry. Nothing mattered anymore. Life was one big shit show.

And she was the star.