~I~

I recommend watching Then Came You before reading this(the trailer for it is above^^). It wont spoil anything, I've changed a lot from the movie to this, but it is way better than this story will ever be. Just watch it, it's great :))

(Thank you so much hgfdso for helping a lot with this book. You guys should check her out, she has some pretty great stories :))))

Y/n's POV

"Can you see my finger?" My doctor, Doctor Goodrich, asked, her finger in my right eye's peripheral vision.

"Yes." I replied with lack of emotion. "Why do we even have to do this?" I questioned, moving my head to look at her directly.

Doctor Goodrich sat down on her small stool with wheels, clipboard in hand, scooting her way toward me. "So we know the status of the tumor. We need to know if it has responded to the medication, Y/n."

"Who cares if it has responded or not, I'm going to die either way." I shrugged.

Doctor Goodrich peered through her glasses and through the loose strands of her blonde hair. She usually had her hair pulled back in a low ponytail, but her hair somehow always found a way to escape the elastic band. "Tell me this, Y/n," She started, placing the clipboard on the empty spot next to me on the bed. "Can you tell the future?"

I looked at her like she was crazy. "No, of course not."

"Then there is no reason you should be saying you're going to die."

I rolled my eyes at her statement. The glioma has barely responded since I started taking the medicine. Theres no point in these appointments. I know what I have, I know the survival rate, I know what is going to happen to me and I've already accepted it. The last thing I need is someone trying to give me hope for something that won't happen.

"Everything looks the same as it was last visit." Doctor Goodrich stated, scanning the paper held on the clipboard. "The MRI scan showed only a slight difference in the tumor and all your symptoms have stayed the same since then." She looked up from the paper, her glasses reflecting the sunlight from the window. "We've already contacted the local pharmacy to refill you on your medication so it should be done by the time you get there."

I hopped off of the bed, ready to leave the small room that only reminded me of my future. I twisted the doorknob, swung the door open, and began my way out of the room.

"Have a nice day, miss L/n!" Doctor Goodrich called out to me as I walked down the hallways of the doctor's office and back to the waiting room where my parents were.

As I walked, the light blue strands of the prosthetic hair was pushed back slightly by the air pushing against me. I always thought having a wig was so great growing up. You could change the look of your hair whenever you want and it wouldn't hurt when you had to brush it. Now that I needed one, it wasn't all my childhood self made them out to be. They're expensive, making it difficult to change it whenever I want, and they require more work than you give your real hair.

Entering the waiting room, I smile widely to both of my parents, a jump in my step now. Both of them stand up, returning the smiles.

"How'd it go?" My mother asked, nervousness showing through her smile.

"Still have cancer." I joked, shrugging. My parents deadpanned. "Fine." I sigh. "My symptoms are still the same, they've upped my prescription, and you've already seen the MRI scan."

My mother nodded, looking upset and unsatisfied. "Alright. Are you ready to go, do you have everything?"

My father and I both nodded to which my mother pulled her keys from her purse and began walking toward the front door.

My parents were worried, no doubt about it. They've wanted to try every kind of medication possible to try to help, they're desperate to get rid of this cancer, what parent wouldn't? I grew up arguing with them, hating them for giving me the punishments I deserved. What kid doesn't hate their parents for stupid things? I never really appreciated them until recently. The 'we're only doing this because we love you' talks made me livid, but now I understand why and love them for it. Everything they've done for me and the hard work they put in to make sure I grew up right.

They put work both into having a child and raising a child. My Mom was believed to be unable to have kids. She and my Dad tried multiple times, but every time it ended the same way. She still held hope every time though, which is why I'm here today. If she had given up, they wouldn't have the miracle of a child that was me. They loved me and worked so hard for me, only to lose me before I could even begin my own life.

They were great parents and it was devastating knowing that, in a little under a year at most, I would have to leave them in one of the worst ways. They are a big, important part of my life and vise versa. Dinners were never dull, car rides were never quiet, and summer vacations were an always. There was never a boring moment with them and thats what was so amazing about them. I couldn't ask for a better family.

"Don't tell me you think you're driving." Dad asked, following behind Mom.

Mom scoffed, spinning the key ring around her finger and she made her way through the parking lot. "Yeah, I am." She replied. "What are you going to do about it?"

"This!" Dad jumped up from behind Mom and grabbed the keys from around her finger. As he began running toward the car, Mom chased after him. The two of them a laughing mess, they fought over the driver seat, pushing each other out of the way in attempt to open the door first.

Seeing this as an opportunity, I snuck over to the passenger side of the car. Sliding in the leather seat and buckling myself in, neither of the childish adults noticed.

Through the window, I watched my Dad shove Mom, but not hard enough to push her to the ground, and hastily open the door. Just as he was about to get into the vehicle, Mom slid in quickly and took her spot in front of the wheel. Mom laughed in victory, pointing at the man next to her. He lets out an overdramatic groan, looking defeated. I laughed along with my Mom which got my Dad's attention. He pointed at me, his mouth agape and a look that said 'Is this allowed?' Mom and I laughed harder as he slowly climbed in the back seat with a dejected expression.

Dad sighed, pulling the seatbelt over his chest. "Today is not my day."

*           *          *

"Y/n L/n." I said as I step up to the pharmacy desk. The woman on the other side nodded, looking my name up in the computer.

She smiled. "Let me just get that for you real quick, sweetie."

She turned around and made her way toward the isles of medicine behind her. As I waited, I drummed my fingers against the counter and allowed my eyes to roam. My head slowly twisted to the right, my eyes scanning everything it could, nothing really catching my attention. That was until they landed on a boy that looked to be my age. Brown, recently cut hair, slightly taller than me, pale skin, black framed glasses resting on his nose. He looked familiar, but I couldn't think of where I've seen him.

The boy's eyes scanned the shelf of vitamins, shoving his hands in his jacket pockets. As he neared the end of the shelf, he noticed me staring, making eye contact with me. Still, I didn't take my eyes away from his green ones.

"Alright, here is your chemotherapy tablets, this one is your dexamethasone, and this is your anticonvulsant." The lady mumbled, handing me three, small, paper bags that held my medicine. "I take it you already know when to take them?"

"Yeah," I nodded and smiled. "Thank you."

As I turned to make my way to the exit, I glanced back at the nameless boy. For a second did he hold eye contact before he nervously looked back at the shelf in front of him.

Man, short chapter. I wanted to make it longer but I didn't know how else I could make it longer. That last bit was an attempt to make it longer which barely worked \(•_•)/