Chapter Eleven: Painting

Whilst thinking of a plan, Serenity's gaze suddenly landed on her fingers. It was long and thin and has a pink tint to it due to her blood.

Blood.

[... host?]

Serenity smiled and without even batting an eyelash, took off her hairpin and used it to prick her fingers until it started to bleed. Without her realizing that her black locks cascaded beautifully down her back, enchanting the crowd.

Collecting her blood on a small container, Serenity has now a paint she could use. Without wasting a second, Serenity started to paint after hiding her hairpin in one of her pockets.

Actually, if Serenity had been honest to herself, she would surely refuse this challenge. This is the type of challenge she should've backed down because she knows for sure that she wouldn't win this.

Going up against Lindsey who have refined her skills as a painter compared to her who only knew how to draw human anatomy to help her become a better doctor. It was glaringly obvious who would win this challenge. But Serenity still tried her best. She won't go down without a fight.

Ten minutes flew by but it was enough for Serenity to atleast paint something that she could showcase. The butler's loud voice reverberated throughout the whole hall, announcing that ten minutes is finally over. Both Lindsey and Serenity put down their brushes.

"Miss De Lune, please show your painting."

Lindsey let a confident smile grace her lips and turned her canvas around, showing her painting proudly.

Gasps of shock and amazement sounded from the crowd. Serenity craned her neck to look at Lindsey's painting. And it didn't disappoint her.

On the white canvas is a beautiful painting of a girl playing a grand black piano. The girl's white dress contrasted greatly to the piano. Beautiful cherry blossoms are scattered behind the girl which made the painting more ephemeral.

"Miss De Lune really lives up to her reputation." The young heir of the Thindrel clan commented.

After the crowd recovered from their amazement, they then turned to look at Serenity. When the butler finally gave the signal, Serenity revealed her painting.

Contrary to the crowd earlier's reaction, this time they went silent. Serenity couldn't help but frown. Sure, she isn't that good of a pianter like Lindsey but atleast her painting is a bit decent. What is this type of reaction? Was her painting too horrible that they were rendered speechless?

Alas, Serenity just didn't took in consideration that her paintig really rendered the crowd speechless. But for a different reason.

While Lindsey's painting is more on a peaceful side of things, Serenity's is a bit... gore. Because Serenity only knew how to draw human anatomy, her painting is all about war. Dead bodies and blood littered all over the canvas. Some have decapitated heads, dismembered limbs and broken weapons. Despite all of this, some still found the painting strangely enchanting because of the red flowers or red spider lilies that bloomed over the bodies.

Serenity seemed to be in a deep thought while looking at her painting. Something seems missing.

Grabbing the calligraphy brush on a table, Serenity wrote the words 'If our country is worth dying for in times of war let us resolve that it is truly worth living for in time of peace,' in the middle of the painting.

Her strokes were beautiful and elegant which contrasts greatly to the gory painting. The words took up half of the painting, despite so it didn't diminish the painting's strange beauty. It made the crowd realized that the painting has a deeper meaning to it.