21.Consequences.

Newt and Esther have been escorted into Madam Picquery's waiting area for their meetings. Newt sits perfectly straight against the back of the chair while Esther is slouched in here.  Her legs are crossed with her foot fidgeting in the air.  Newts shoes tap the marble floors rhythmically with his elbows resting on the chairs arm and fingers parallel to his upper lip.

  Esther unfastens her jacket to relieve her anxious sweating. His eyes shift to her for a moment.

  "What?" She inquires.

  A faint smile flashes between his hands.

  "Stop worrying." He states, staring back at the door leading to her office.

    The door the wizard fixated on begins to open and clicking of heels echo within the quiet room.

  "Officer Burns.  You can come in." The president speaks.

  Esther tenses and jerks upwards to stand. Newt watches Esther's steps. They continued to stiffen further the closer she reached her boss. He hopes she'll be able to handle it.

  Madam Picquery sits behind her ornate leather throne behind her large desks.  Papers are piled neatly on it with today's newsletter placed on top of a map of American in the middle of the desk.

  Esther stares at the edge of the desk, focusing on the detailed crown molding. The corner is sharp with a twisted knot beneath it and pearled buttons underneath that.

  "I've ordered you to speak with me today over your actions during last night's events.  I'm not pleased in the slightest with how you handled my aurors and how you explicitly went against my orders in exterminating the obscurius." She begins.

  Esther hunches her shoulders and looks down at the newspaper underneath the president's hands.

"I'm sorry Madam President. I don't know what came over me. I promise to never impede a law enforcement mission. I shouldn't have been there, but Grindelwald was interfering with my department so I couldn't stand by." She mumbles.

The congresswoman nodded her head.

"What you did was unforgivable. You know apologies aren't acceptable especially for the malicious spell you used. I don't condone that source of magic, not even for the aurors, but," she pauses, "You did manage to withhold Grindelwald for some time which the aurors couldn't do. So I'm giving you this as a strict warning. Never use that spell again or I will strip you from your position. I'm giving you a week to be off government property including to perform your duties. This is not a vacation, but a punishment. You will turn in your badge and your right to be in my building." She finishes.

Esther's eyes meet with hers. She's dumbstruck by the president's gracious sentence.

"You're badge." She repeats outstretching her slender hand.

The witch fumbles through her bag that sits in her lap and hands her boss the item.

"We're done here. I'll see you in a week. Bring in Mr.Scamander, please." She instructs.

Esther boots from the chair into the lobby. Newt stands using laying eyes on her. He takes a deep breath only feet away from her.

"So, how'd it go?" He questions.

"I'm on week-long probation, but I still have my job." She sighs. "You're next though."

He nods then proceeds to her office. Esther rests in the chair waiting for him to return. She closes her eyes.

  Something taps against her shoulder and she jumps in the chair. She gasps loudly jolting her awake.  Newt stands in front of her shocked. She heaves and sighs slowing her breathing.