Five

Griffon flapped down from his place high above, hovering over V's shoulder just a ways ahead. Meg pedaled slowly, just behind the pair. Her leather clad knees bumped against the low handlebars for every pump, the setting raised to the highest level on the small children's bike.

"Wait, so, you think Nero can kill Urizen?" Meg questioned with disbelief in her tone.

"One can only hope.." V sighed with little distress, hardly faltering as the ground began to shake. The group slowly turned, watching as the tunnel collapsed behind them.

"Well, ain't that fuckin' convenient." Meg scoffed, both boots on the ground as they paused monetarily.

"But for now, we have a more...." V turned back to the path, smirk permanently frozen on his full lips. "Pressing engagement."

Griffon soared ahead, out of the tunnel to get at the fresh open air. Meg stayed rooted at her spot for just a moment, watching silently as V followed suit. She shook her head, adjusting her seating, and leaned forward to catch up.

"This whole thing is gunna be the goddamn death of me."

"We've a minor errand before we reach Urizen." V commented as he entered the street. A large blood wall cut off the lagging Meg from her pale friend, who let out a low hum of distaste.

"Ah, shit, V..." Meg groaned from the other side, looking through the spiral as Griffon soared above. "I can't get through, be careful."

"Oooh, genius, says 'be careful.' Yeah, no shit Shirley! Ain't that right V?" Griffons words were rushed, just like always, as he circled the spawning Empusa's. The panther, who's name Meg learned was Shadow, padded quietly in front of V as if stalking her prey. Meg couldn't see perfectly through the blood wall, but she could make out V's arm reach inside his jacket to pull a thinly bound book. "I mean, you are fragile at the moment. Wouldn't take much to wipe you out in a sticky situation. I'm just saying running away is okay. It's always okay to run away, if you're not up for it."

"He who desires but act not, breeds pestilence." V snapped the book shut, bringing it down to his side. He gave gave the empusa a cocky smile, and nodded his head. "...So it is written."

"Okay Shakespeare, just remember this:" Griffon jumped from the street sign and onto V's arm. "You and I like to exist. So get rid of those demons quick, 'cause killin' them ain't my shtick!"

"I got your back!" Griffon chanted as he leaped from V, bee lining towards the demons. "Cause dying is whack!"

Meg shook her head. Even the damn bird spoke in rhymes, next she would be too. Meg scoffed at the image of her in V's outfit, crumpled posture over a cane and ratty book in hand, reciting Dickens and Frost.

Shadow took care of the first wave of three Empusa, tail blade contorting to pierce and hack through enemies. Meg would be lying is she said she wasn't impressed. Each empusa quickly turned a familiar sickly white, and V finished them off with a stab.

The next wave came rather fast, two rather large Red Empusa following a smaller. Griffon swooped, a line of lightning shooting down in the direction he had been pointing. Together the two familiars ended the battle with ease, V barely having to participate at all.

The blood swirls turned white and vanished into thin air, allowing Meg and her bike to pedal through. She whistled, watching the corpses sink into the ground with a gurgle of red.

"I don't understand why you need me at all." Meg looked up to V, who was smirking victoriously.

"You are quite the source of entertainment." Meg drew back in a scowl.

"Oh, fuck you!"

"No, this strength," V gestured to himself, a frown reclaiming his lips. "It will not last very long. I'm afraid I'm on a very strict time limit."

"So Urizen dying gives you strength, huh?" V's lips sealed and Meg shrugged. "Hey, I don't really care, it's not my business."

"You're quite the observer." V commented with a shroud of snappiness. Meg raised a brow, crossing her arms over the bikes handlebars.

"Yeah, I know how to use my eyes." She quipped, V's hard expression cracking back into aloof. "Look, if you don't want me here, I'll leave. I can make my own way back up the tree, no problem."

"I apologize." V dipped his head. "Old habits. I would very much appreciate your accommodation on this journey."

"You're sure you're okay with that?" Meg questioned with a slight softness in her tone, not wanting to accidentally pry into the charming mans secrets. V knew he'd end up giving away more than he'd like and that Meg would piece together bits on her own accord, but he couldn't bring himself to shoo her away. He did need her, or he would, eventually.

"Yes, I am sure." V looked up through his lashes, dark eyes locking with Meg's vibrant greens. She sighed, and shrugged once more.

"Alright, whatever." She looked around, taking in the area. V watched her with curiosity, analyzing her mannerisms. "Where the hell are we going anyway?"

"Railroad." V pointed with his cane to a open building, a staircase Meg could just barely make out.

"Damn, no more bike then, huh?" She stood, setting her borrowed possession off to the side. She dusted her palms, beginning forwards with a tailing V. She looked over her shoulder. "You gunna be able to take these stairs or you really got a leg problem?"

"Souvenir, from my beginning." V explained as he motioned to his cane. Meg nodded in understanding. "But I have no doubt I'll be using it as my time runs out."

"Well," Meg have V a warm smile, turning to fully face the man who's quest she'd happily tagged along too. "Then it's a good thing I'll be there to carry your sorry ass when you loose what ya got, huh?"

V returned the smile tenfold.

"Yes, it is."