86. Unfair

We were all back. The suit disappeared and we all looked at each other. 

" Did we get them all?" I heard Bruce ask. 

" You telling me this'll actually work?" Rhodey asked excited. But when I looked at Clint I knew someone was missing. 

" Clint, where's Nat?" I asked. His silence told us all we needed to know. She didn't make it. Bruce fell on his knees and pounded the floor in grief.

"What happened?" I asked when everyone handed the stones to dad. 

" A soul for a soul." he said, and walked outside. We all looked at him, he had lost his best friend in the entire world. He was standing beside the lake. I went outside and sat down on one of the benches. 

" He knew who we were." Clint told me, looking over the lake. " He knew her father's name." He said. Which she didn't know herself, she had told me. " Then he told us one of us had to jump off and die." 

I stood up and gave him a hug. " I'm sorry." I told him.

When I sat back down dad, Steve, Bruce and Thor all came out as well. Steve sat down next to me, mourning. We all mourned. 

" Do we know if she had family?" Dad asked us. 

" Yeah. Us." Steve said. 

" What?" Thor asked confused. 

" I just asked him a question..." Dad told him. 

" Yeah, you're acting like she's dead. Why are we acting like she's dead? We have the stones, right? As long as we have the stones, Cap, we can bring her back, isn't that right? So stop this shit. We're the Avengers, get it together." He tried to pick everyone up. 

" We can't get her back." Clint stated. 

" Wha- what?" Thor was still confused. 

" It can't be undone. It can't." Clint told him. 

All Thor did was laugh dryly " I'm sorry. No offense, but you're a very earthly being. Okay? We're talking about space magic. And 'can't' seems very definitive don't you think?" 

" Thor." Said to get his attention. When he looked at me I shook my head, telling him he should stop talking. 

" Look, I know that I'm way outside my paygrade here. But she still isn't here, is she?" Clint asked Thor to prove his point. 

 " Now that's my point-" He tried. 

But Clint interrupted him. " It can't... be undone. Or that's at least what the, great floating guy had to say." Then he started to shout at Thor " Maybe you wanna go talk to him? Okay? Go grab your hammer, and you go fly and you talk to him." 

" Clint, calm down." I told him. 

" I'm not calming down as long as he doesn't get that she's gone! And no amount of space magic is bringing her back!" He shouted at me. I stayed calm, he was hurt. 

" I know. But shouting isn't gonna help." I told him. 

His anger got replaced with grief. " It was supposed to be me. She sacrificed her life for that goddamned stone. She bet her life on it." 

 In a burst of anger, Bruce grabbed a bench and hurled it into the lake. He turned to us with a resigned look on his face. " She's not coming back. We have to make it worth it. We have to." He said. 

" We will." Steve told him.

While everyone went back inside I went up to the roof. The place where, before I met Peter, I watched the stars with Nat. I sat down and just broke down. I started sobbing. Losing half of the universe was hard, but we would be able to bring them back. Everyone, but not her, not Natasha. She was gone forever. She was the older sister I never had. I remembered how she floored Happy in a second. How she was my homeschool teacher before I knew who she actually was. After New York, she cared for me whenever dad was gone on a business trip with Pepper. We painted each others nails and curled each others hair. The year we had spent in hiding we had become even closer. We told each other everything, I told her everything. And I was crying my eyes out on the roof of the compound. All I could see was her beautiful smile. That smile that could light up a room. 

I felt someone sit down next to me, and take me into a hug. I wrapped my arms around him and knew it was Steve. My face buried in his shoulder, and my tears wetting his shirt. " She's gone." I got out between the crying. " It isn't fair." I told him. 

" I know." He told me, rubbing my back, trying to comfort me. 

" If I hadn't put her on that team, she would be alive." I said. I had made her go to Vormir. 

" Don't." Steve said " Don't even dare to blame yourself. It's not your fault." 

I sniffed, he was right. It was still Thanos' fault. He did this to us.

When my tears had dried we went back down to the living area. While dad, Bruce and Rocket were working on the new gauntlet we were sitting around. " Wanna play some paper football?" I asked Scott and Nebula. They were both in. Scott folded the paper and we decided I would go up against Scott first. Then the winner would play against Nebula. 1-0 for me. 1-1. 2-1,... I won with 5 against 1. 

" How are you so good at this?" Scott asked me. 

" We played it when we were stuck in space." I said mentioning Nebula. 

Now it was me against Nebula. But I was pretty sure I wouldn't win. She had gotten good after our stay in space. 1-0, I made the first point. 2-0, It seemed like she was struggling. 3-0, why was she so bad? 4-0, maybe she had forgotten how to play, it had been 5 years after all. 5-0, I won. " Yes!" I cheered, it had been a long time since I had won that game from her.

It was getting late, and the gauntlet wasn't done. So we decided to go to sleep. I layed in my bed and took my sketchbook from under my mattress. I had drawings of all of them. Peter, Wanda, Sam, Ned,... And we were gonna bring all of them back. I wouldn't have to miss them anymore.