Dead To me

Chapter Nine

After the Party

"Don't look now." Raven hissed into my ear and I whipped my head around.

"Wow it's like humans do the exact opposite of what you ask them not to do."

"I'm not human!" I muttered defensively and hugged my self as the wind caressed me violently. Swallowing a huge lump in my throat I watched as Raphael embraced Aleara; before I could look away he locked eyes with mine. 

  His emerald glare was like a deadbolt around my ankles, locking me in place. I felt my hair flutter across my cheeks, light as a feather.

I wasn't cold anymore. 

 I was hot all over. 

Faye and Raven paused too, folding their arms across their chests and side-eyeing each other.

This ain't gonna go well, Faye's expression seemed to say.

  A wave of awkwardness washed over me, as I stood there watching Raphael hold Aleara in his arms...not knowing whether to go over, turn around or pretend I hadn't seen them. Of course it was a bit too late for the latter option. Raphael ran a rough hand through his wavy locks, looking every bit as apologetic as I wanted him to. He motioned for me to come over, tilting his head slightly in my direction, while continuing to massage her shoulders.

It's not what you think I thought to myself.

Raven and Faye waved before walking in the opposite direction.

"We're gonna be at the bar." Raven muttered, her silky black hair flipping over her shoulder as she walked. 

  I nodded and began walking towards Raphael, knees shaky as my boots left footprints in the snow. Faye had chosen the most beautiful red boots for me. They hugged my feet tighter than socks and I adored the symbols lining the top layer. 

  Aleara looked marble-pale the closer I drew and that was how I knew something was wrong with her. She hardly acknowledged me but stared up at Raphael with her enchanting blue eyes. She looked frail-not like the strong She-Alpha I met when I first came to Wolvenpraire. 

  "Aleara...are you okay?" I breathed, narrowing my eyes. I shivered as the wind nipped at my cheeks. She cast her icy blue eyes on me but said not a word before turning back to Raphael. He patted her shoulder softly but something about it was off.

  "Hey Peyton. You look...stunning." He intoned and I felt my body grow warm despite the cold. 

"Thank Faye and Raven...it was their job, not mine." I mumbled, looking down. I was wearing a soft blue dress that hugged my body in all the right places. The material melted between my fingertips and the sequins glittered like a constellation. It was cut just above my knee followed by lilac leggings and then the red boots. I felt ethereal...especially after the glittery eye-shadow Raven had put over my eyes.

  I glanced up to see Raphael whisper something to Aleara, whose gaze was glued to his like an adoring puppy. I felt  very out of place, almost like I was intruding and began to take a couple steps backwards, feet crunching in the snow. 

  "I'll be with the girls...when you're finished." I said softly, breath leaving trails in the air. Raphael's eyes widened and he gaped for a second like he was going to ask me to wait, but he didn't. I could feel the eyes of everyone on me as I walked...I felt like such and outsider. Or maybe it was just my paranoia.