Chapter Nine

One Year After Joining the Cadets...

Iris dragged her feet through the thick snow, and was cursing the cold weather as she did it. She hated the cold, and she hated snow, having to live in the Underground, the only thing she knew was cold and darkness. So, when she came to the surface, she loved the hot summer days, while she dreaded the cold winters.

"You know, dragging yourself through the snow won't do you any good." Leon said.

"It's not like I could do anything about it." Iris muttered under her breath.

"Shadis won't be pleased if we're late to class again, you know." Leon sighed. "Remember when Connie and Sasha were late?! He had them running in the field in the fucking cold!"

"You don't have to remind me." Iris said.

"THEN PICK UP THE PACE, WOMAN, USE THOSE LEGS!"

Iris glared at Leon. She knew that he was teasing her on her height. When they were children, she remembered being taller than Leon – a few good inches – but when the moment they turned fourteen, a huge change happened. It was as if Leon suddenly had a growth spurt that he grew taller than her, or maybe it was because she was left behind? It irritated her since her height would only be up to Leon's shoulders, and she had to look up just to meet his eyes when they talk. And most of all, she hated Leon's teasing – sure she teased him when they were kids, she would call him "midget" from time to time just to rile him up and get a reaction from him, but when Leon finally towered over her, his jokes and name-calling were almost the only things she would hear from him.

"I'm going to kill you." Iris said through her gritted teeth.

"You're so cute when you get angry!" Leon laughed, teasingly, as he patted Iris' head.

He's fucking dead.

Leon suddenly felt a hard grip at his wrist, looking down his laughter died when he saw the glare that Iris had on him.

"Hey, it was just a joke! Come on!" Leon said as he tried to get his hand from Iris. "IRIS! HEY! LET GO OF ME!"

~*~

"Man, sure is cold outside." Connie said.

Almost the whole 104th cadets were inside their classroom, waiting for their Commander for their morning lecture about ODM and 3DM Gear. After breakfast, almost everyone ran to the building just to get out of the cold, while some took their time and had a little fun in the snow – Sasha, Minna, and Thomas.

"Who do you think will be the unlucky guy that'll have their asses by Shadis?" Connie smirked.

The 104th laughed as they looked around the classroom, seeing the empty seats.

"Well, I'm not!" Sasha yelled from her seat.

"Hey, Leon and Iris still aren't here." Krista said.

"So, they're the unlucky bastards, huh." Jean smirked.

"Well, they better hurry if they don't want Shadis to have them running laps." Eren said, smiling.

Just on cue, the sound of the door opening caught everyone's attention. They all sat up straight in the chairs, expecting Shadis to enter, to their surprise, it was just their two missing comrades. But just wasn't the sudden entrance of Iris and Leon that had them appalled, but how they looked: Leon was covered in snow – head to toe – and his hair was all messy as if it were pulled, and he was glaring at Iris; while Iris had no care of Leon's glare and was spotless. The two walked inside as if nothing were nothing – well, Leon was glaring and muttering under his breath, and was leaving a trail of snow as he went to his desk – and sat down on their respective chairs.