Chapter 28

Hi everyone!

So apparently people are doing book reports on this and classes are reading this... Are you people joking or is this true? Because for some reason it's kind of stressful.. ;) but if you need help for your book report about stuff like theme and whatnot you can message me for help;)

Check out the awesome drawing of Hailey by @kindnesslok ! :O

-------------

Recap:

Hailey is woken up in the middle of the night to learn that enemy troops have been spotted heading straight for Sol. There's no time to waste, and the village must be evacuated so people can be safe. Although the king left the previous day, Anselm and Chase are of the opinion that the enemy came here to take him hostage. They still haven't really figured out what to do, however.

-------------

Chapter 28

Chase, Anselm, and I looked out to the plaza. It looked like the whole town was finally gathered there. Everybody was restless, the adults looking around worriedly, as if the enemy might pop out of nowhere at any moment, and little kids crying at being so rudely awakened in the middle of the night.

Anselm excused himself, and headed towards a group of people who were locking the castle doors.

Not a minute later, Bree flew towards us, her face showing no more emotions than she had when she was commenting on my poor fighting skills. She wore a leather belt that went twice around her waist and was filled with a large assortment of knives, each more wicked-looking than the other.

"So?" She cut to the chase.

"I guess we'll just have to leave, retreat into the forest," Chase shook his head.

"That's what I was afraid of... Carson!" The Winged boy appeared at once. "Organize all the Elite archers to cover us while we fall back. Lance told me they were all armed and ready."

Carson flew away immediately, and Chase frowned at Bree.

"Why did you do that?" He whispered harshly, most likely to avoid being overheard by any of the Winged flying quickly back and forth around us. "You know they don't stand a chance, not by themselves, not with this many people coming at them."

Bree didn't seem too distraught by the idea.

"Relax, Chase, I know what I'm doing." Then she explained, "Chances are, the archers won't even need to fire one arrow. I just need some people making sure no one attacks the civilians while their backs are turned. I've already started directing them towards the forest. There's probably a forth of the population there already. I had told everyone we were falling back even before you told me of the plan, and -What? Don't look at me like that, even if we did fight, which was unlikely, they would have been safer there anyway."

"Sometimes I wonder why you even bother keeping me around," Chase muttered.

"What? No, don't say that, I love sending you on pointless errands." Bree said, which I think was a joke, but you could never be sure with her.

Chase just sighed, looking up at the night sky like one might at the news of an approaching thunderstorm. The peacefully twinkling stars were a sharp contrast to the bustling activity around us and showed no warning of the upcoming enemy.

"Okay, so we're all going to the forest, that's all well and good, but what do we do after that?" Chase asked.

"Wait until they find us," Bree answered. "It'll be like a giant game of hide-and-seek."