IV. SOMETHING STRONGER

- SOMETHING STRONGER -

December 7th, 1919

Rose had finally come to the conclusion that Small Heath was never quiet. Even in the dead of night, the factory fires still roared and voices still echoed off the street.

The walk home was a frozen one, but ever since the accident with the car door, Rose cut her journey in half, stopping at the Garrison for a warm cup of tea.

Pushing open the doors, she was hit with warm air and the scent of beer and spirits. Nobody played the piano and there were only a few of the regulars around so late, but it was still warm and Rose let out a sigh of relief.

"You're late tonight, Rosie!" Harry, the barman, called from behind the bar.

Rose only laughed. "It has been a long night! A few men from one of the factories got their hands caught in the fire. Had to treat a few nasty burns before I could leave."

"Spare me the details, love," Harry grimaced, shaking his head. Rose only laughed again, as Harry slid the cup across the bar. She reached in her bag to get her purse, but Harry only shook his head.

"I've told you a hundred time, Rosie. It's on the house."

She smiled. "Thank you, Harry."

He just smiled with a wink and turned back to cleaning up some glasses behind the counter.

Just as Rose lifted the cup to her lips, somebody called out from the back of the pub.

"Well I thought I heard the laugh of an angel!"

Turning around, Rose was greeted by a smiling Arthur Shelby, with John trailing behind him.

"Hello Arthur," she laughed, taking a small sip of tea.

"Oh bloody 'ell, love! Are you sure you don't want something stronger?" he asked, both brothers taking a seat at the bar next to her.

"Not tonight, no. But thank you," she replied, sending him a small wink. He just laughed and took a drink from the glass Harry had slid across the counter.

"You know, if you ever get bored over at the clinic, they're hiring here at the Garrison," John said, giving Rose a nudge and pointing at the sign in the window. She just shook her head.

"With you two, I have a full time job. Without me, you would still have a split lip!"

John just smiled and gave her another small nudge. "Right you are, nurse."

They sat in comfortable silence for a moment, the only sound coming from the drunks in the back singing to themselves.

"You know, Rosie," Arthur sighed, taking another drink, "I'm right glad you came to town."

"And why is that?" she asked quietly.

"Well, you're real good at fixing our cuts and scrapes and-"

Arthur was cut off as the door to the pub swung open and blast of cold air washed over them.

"Shite, man! Close the door!" John yelled.

Thomas Shelby gave the door a small kick as he walked towards them at the bar. She didn't know whether it was the cold breeze or his icy stare, but a chill ran down her spine as he sat down beside her. Taking off his cap, he set it on the bar. She watched him as he ran a hand through his hair and the dark strands fell back onto his forehead.

"Mr. Shelby," she said, nodding her head to him.

"Nurse King," he replied, pulling a cigarette from his jacket. Offering one to her, she shook her head.