18

My hand went to the doorknob automatically, shaking as I unlocked and opened the door. The second I did, I was engulfed in a giant hug, all of my brothers squeezing me tight. But how the hell did they find me?

"Oh, Katie. We've missed you so much!" Soda said, choking up.

I didn't want to want to be found or go back home with them, but being in their embrace and smelling their cologne and the familiar scent of home made me want nothing more than to stay with them forever.

"How? How'd you guys find me?" I asked, my emotions running all over the place.

"Curly Shepard called Tim and said he ran into you. Tim knew you were on the run so he came and told us. Damn, you had us worried sick! I'm just so happy you're okay." Darry explained, crying as he continued to hug me tight.

I pulled away from the group hug after a few minutes and looked at them. Then I broke down. "I'm sorry! I..I'm so sorry!" I sobbed, falling to my knees as I continued bawling.

"Oh baby." Soda said, picking me up off the floor and practically carrying me into the motel room, Darry and Pony following.

I just kept going though. I don't know why but I just had to tell them everything, crying or not. "I w-went to the-the Grand Canyon and I hustled pool and I s-st-stole a blade. A-and I came here and I've been cut-cutting all the time! And I'm sorry!...I'm sorry!"

When I was finished, I was sitting on the edge of the bed with Darry and Soda on either side of me and Pony in front of me sitting in a chair.

"Hey, it's gonna be okay, honey. We're here now and you're safe, okay?" Soda assured me, pulling me into his side.

"Hey, Pone, why don't you and Soda run down to the drug store we passed and pick up some first aid stuff." Darry more instructed than suggested. He must've seen my arm; it wasn't bandaged or well-cleaned.

Once Soda and Pony left, Darry pulled me into another hug and I continued to cry into his chest.

"I'm sorry, Dar. I'm sorry."

"Oh honey, stop apologizing. It's gonna be alright. And we're going to fix your arms up then go back home. The gang will be so happy to see you. We have been looking all over Oklahoma for you." He took a deep breath and tightened his grip on me. "I've missed you so much."

"Dar, too tight, I can't breath." I said with a slight chuckle, Darry letting go and laughing with me.

"Here, lets get you cleaned up." He said, grabbing a tissue and wiping the tears from my face just as the boys came back with a bag.

"We got gauze, Neosporin, tape, and bandages. And some candy." Soda proudly announced, handing me a candy bar.

"Pony, get a clean, wet washcloth." Darry instructed, dumping the contents of the bag onto the bed and gesturing for me to lie down.

I did so and then watched as Darry began to clean up my arm, Pony handing him whatever he asked for as he went. Soda laid on the other side of me, talking about who-knows-what and trying to keep me distracted.

It didn't matter though. I trusted Darry to take care of me since he had to be a nurse after all the rumbles anyway. Besides, being with them felt good and I eventually fell asleep listening to Soda drone on.