Chapter 66

A/N: Before you read this chapter, please let me clarify something because of the new concept I've introduced in my story.

Have you ever been to any remotest village of India? There are thousands of tribal clans and communities where many unique rituals out of our imagination are still followed. Women are given higher positions in matrilineal societies and men do gamble illegally.

I haven't used any particular name for any community since a few things are from my imagination too. I only want to portray certain realities through my story and nothing else.

Chapter 66

Jiyasha was sitting in her room analysing the situations before her when her phone rang. Avyan was ringing her from New York and she answered it, "Hello Avyan."

"What is this, Jiyasha? You didn't even feel it's important to inform me that you've reached home safely," Avyan was scolding her over the phone.

Jiyasha had really forgotten to give Avyan a call after reaching home. The strange problems around her were enough to deviate her mind. "I am sorry Avyan. I was very tired so I couldn't inform you. I thought you might be busy back there when I am going to sleep here."

"I know very well it's night there in India and it's a day over here. But you should have at least given me a reminder and that's it."

"Avyan, are you inheriting my characteristics in you? You seem to get angry every now and then."

"Might be. You have changed me for the better. I can at least handle situations better than before."

"Are you feeling good now, Avyan?"

"You are not supposed to ask me this after giving me goosebumps for the whole day. I was extremely worried. Is everything alright there?"

"Yes."

"Your voice seems low. Is anything wrong over there? Isn't Aditi at home with you? You told me that she was staying in the village these days."

"Everything is fine here, Avyan. Aditi is here at home and I am a bit tired so my voice is low. I will be alright by tomorrow morning. You don't need to worry that much." JIyasha grew little louder in her voice.

Avyan was irked by her behaviour. "I don't think you want to talk to me now. It's better that you go to sleep. Good night, my love and take care of yourself."

"Yes. I love you," Jiyasha said giddily and the call was hung up.

**** 

The next day was more worrisome for Jiyasha when she came face to face with Ankit and Kriti at the breakfast table. Ankit glared at Jiyasha with rage in his eyes as she continued chewing quietly.

"What have you thought about your promise that you gave to our mom?" Kriti directed her question towards Jiyasha.

Jiyasha pursed her lips for she knew she hadn't any answer to the question. Jiyasha hadn't yet pondered over her decision and continued gazing at her food.

Ankit picked up the glass of milk from the table and brought it to his lips. "What are you expecting from this litter, Kriti?"

"What else can I expect, brother? I just want my mother to be fit and fine."

"Our mother's well being comes with a promise and you know that very well." Ankit reminded her.

Kriti simply nodded and Jiyasha shifted her chair to leave the table. Ankit held her wrist tightly and pulled her closer to her. "People ask me to call you as my sister but I don't think you are capable of that at all. You are only a litter and burden to our family," Ankit taunted Jiyasha looking at Aditi's pale face.