🔘 Chapter 1: Nameless Book

Chapter 1

"Children~ who do you like more? Akiba-sensei?" Akiba-sensei points at herself, "Or Yuu nii-chan¹?" Then points at me, rattling a bag of candies on her other hand in an attempt to lure the kids into choosing her. I just chuckled at her antics.

The kids followed the candies with their eyes, visibly restraining themselves from taking it. But not more than a minute of contemplating, they already decided on their answer, very unusual of their indecisive nature. Turning their heads away from the candies, they looked at me then tackled me with a hug, all of them.

"Yuu nii-chan!!" They yelled together.

"Aww thank you!" I cooed, giving them little kisses on the forehead afterwards. "No fair, Yuu isn't even one of your teachers, I'm one of your teachers and I'm always with you guys." Akiba-sensei said in a sulking tone while wearing a pout.

"You're always on your phone and you're ugly, Yuu nii-chan is pretty and I will marry him when I grow up." One of the kids, Takao, said with his whole chest. I immediately panicked inside, feeling bullets of sweat forming on my forehead. What if Akiba-sensei gets offended? I'm still new here but besides that, I'm also the type of person who cares too much about other people's well-being, whether emotionally or physically. To ease my concern, I stole a glance at her side and heaved a sigh of relief when I saw that she didn't take it seriously. So I gently told Takao off, reminding him that it's not nice to insult people. He seemed unaffected so I assured him that I'd marry him if he fixed his attitude, a little white lie shouldn't hurt. Children can be so hard to reason with.

Though I think the other kids thought I was being serious so they all got fussy, yelling "I wanna marry Yuu nii-chan too!" While shaking me up, I could only nod helplessly.

"Your harem is lively as usual." Kikyo-sensei said with a smirk, I just gave her an exhausted smile.

"Oh right, Yuu-chan¹, the donation box is already full." Reminded Akiba-sensei. She was referring to the box outside the daycare where people in the community can donate their used toys and books to the children. I'm the one in charge of sorting out the usable items and vice versa.

"Oh, I'm on it!"

This is actually my job here. I'm not a teacher nor a teacher-in-training. But I do help in keeping the kids' attention in class because Kikyo-sensei told me that the kids would only look at the board if I'm sitting right beside it.

I crouched at the box outside and sat on one of the center's benches. A smile appeared on my face as I look over the full donation boxes. It always fills my heart with warmth whenever I see these boxes being full, it reminds me that humanity can still be restored somehow despite all the vile things some human are capable of doing.

"Most of the books are still new..." I muttered to myself as I look over the stack of children's books scattered around the boxes. Everything looked colorful and clean, some still had plastic covers on them while some still have tags, however one isolated book stood out among the rest. The book didn't have a title on it so I got curious and picked it up; upon observing more closely though, I noticed that there's no text on either side of the book, no title nor even a synopsis, nothing that would strike me as something child-friendly at least. In cases like this, I just read the book thoroughly to be sure that it doesn't contain anything that isn't suitable for children, it's better to be safe than sorry after all.

With that in mind, I started reading the nameless book, and before I knew it I got so immersed at the plot of the story and read the whole thing in one sitting! I should really do something about this bad habit of mine. Sighing, I placed it down as soon as I saw Akiba-sensei walking towards my direction.