🔘 Chapter 2: Another World

※ 9 years old Anastasius on the media.

___

"Is Young master still asleep?" I heard foreign voices as soon as I regained consciousness. Accompanying their hushed tones are the sounds of chirping birds outside. I still haven't opened my eyes, too reluctant to wake up because of the soft bed I am laying on.

Wait, my bed's not this soft. And why are they speaking in foreign language? Wait, how come I can understand it?

"Yes, it seems that he's still recovering. Poor young master, his fever was way too high yet His Majesty didn't even think of visiting him."

Who are they talking about?

"Well, ever since his mother died when she gave birth to him, His Majesty, the King seemed to have abandon him here at the East Palace. He must've really love that concubine."

Wait, King? His Majesty? Concubine? East Palace? What is happening?

"The Queen even bullies him, she hates that concubine after all. She completely cut off Young Master Anastasius' opportunity of becoming a Crown Prince. We can't even call him 'his highness' now because of his lowered status."

Wait isn't that too childish for a Queen to do?

"Maybe that's why Young master Anastasius not once have become an energetic child, I've never even seen him smile since birth you know? He's always wearing a long face. He's just nine-years-old, yet he already has the eyes of an old veteran whose family was killed in a war."

I don't know who they were gossiping about but isn't that metaphor too much for a child?

Ahhh...I just can't open my eyes, this bed is too comfortable.

"The Royal house isn't paying you to gossip! Go to work!" Shouted someone. I'm asleep here, may you lower your volume a little, please?

I'm still pretending to be asleep. Partly because the bed feels nice but mostly because I'm too afraid to see where I am. The people were speaking in a language I'm not familiar with yet I can understand it so well, same goes for their way of speaking, almost as if they were in ancient times or something. Is this a dream? Well I hope it is.

But wait a minute...

I'm sure I heard the word "Anastasius" earlier. I remember just reading a certain book that has that name, isn't that the Yandere guy I read from the nameless book? Don't tell me...

No, you've got to be kidding me. I... need to see it for myself.

I opened my eyes slowly, adjusting to the light that's covering my face. I looked down and moved my hands. 'Tiny' I whispered. One of the ladies seemed to have heard it so she quickly ran outside and announced that I am already awake.

"Young master! Are you okay now?" A handsome man asked me, he's wearing a butler uniform, the ones that I see in movies and butler cafes. He's very masculine, has a muscled physique that remained very obvious under the thick layer of his suit, he has dark skin, thin lips that draws you in with the scar above it, sharp heterochromic eyes and slicked back amber hair. If this is a dream then wow.. it must be a very nice one considering that I'm currently facing the embodiment of my type right now. But I still don't know if this, in fact, is a dream or not so to be safe, I should play along for now.

"Yes, I am. Thank you for asking." I said while unconsciously forming a smile. Wait, why does my voice sounds like a child's. And why can I speak their language fluently? While worrying about my voice, I almost didn't notice how shocked the butler was while looking at me.

"Young master Anastasius... smiled..." So I am the Anastasius? Wait is he on the verge of crying?

"Uhm..I appreciate your kind thoughts but I wish to be alone for now." The words just naturally left my mouth, it's like the things i wanted to say automatically gets filtered into their language, and into a formal tone.

"As you wish, Young master." He bowed, still looking like he was about to cry.

The moment he closed the fancy big doors I let out a heavy sigh. 'What is going on?'

I'm in a gigantic baroque-style bedroom. The bedsheet I was sleeping on is made of silk as well as the pillowcases and the blanket. Almost every fabric in the room is embroidered with curled vines. My voice is tiny as well as my whole body. My skin feels so soft like it's thoroughly pampered.

Ancient times...

Child of the King and a concubine...

Anastasius...

As the epiphany slowly dawned to me. I gaped.

"No way"

Did I really got transported into that nameless book?!

--

Author's Note:

Above is a portrait of the young Anastasius, I made it in Picrew.

- While this is the portrait of Icarus Smith, Anastasius' butler:

art by @ sadi3032 on twitter