Chapter 11. Abomination

You can't go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.

~C.S. Lewis

Ariana's POV

I just don't get it. What's wrong with me? Despite being humiliated and insulted by Daniel, I still find myself standing outside his study staring at the big mahagony door with a frown on my forehead, debating whether to go in or not.

It's been a week since he said those hurtful words. After that conversation, I kept my distance from him. Whenever he was around, I quickly took off from that place without anyone suspecting. I would go to bed before he comes back from work and whenever he was in the room, I would just troll around in the castle or talk to Ariel or play with Cami which helped me to avoid being alone with him.

I guess even he was trying to avoid me by the way he always avoids my presence. He had started working all day in his study and only came out late at night. During breakfast, he just drinks a weird kind of juice then leaves the table without saying a word or touching a single piece of food. I think he barely eats anything throughout the day which is causing Ariel to stress out because of him.

I overheard a conversation of Ariel and James yesterday in which Ariel's voice was in distress as she said James about Daniel not having his meal which is dangerous and not good since it is full moon today.

Her words honestly didn't make any sense to me. But I know she was worried about Daniel and if you ask me. Even I'm a tiny bit worried...just a tiny bit, okay.

So, I thought maybe I could just ask him what's wrong...

And he would tell you the reason just like that. Are you out of your mind? He doesn't like you, you dumb woman!

My subconscious reminded me and I had to control the urge to roll my eyes. I just wanted to talk to my wolf and ask her opinion like all other werewolves but I'm stuck with a stupid subconscious voice who has no problem in oposing all of my decisions.

Still, this is kind of stupid. He isn't listening to Ariel who is one of those very few people he truly cares about than why would he listen to me?

This is a really bad idea. I should go back to the room.

Just when I was about to go, the door of the study opened making me jump in surprise as I shut my eyes and covered my face with my hands preparing for what was to come.

Oh, no!

"Ariana?"

I slowly peeked through my two fingers space to gaze at the person but was surprised to find a blonde haired Ariel rather than a particular dark haired man. I quickly took my hands off my face and managed to bring a smile on my face. Ariel looked at me with a surprised and amused expression as a wide smile grew on her face.

"Do you have any work with Danny? You looked like a startled cat when I opened the door. Well, that is a Danny phrase but since he isn't the sarcastic grandpa anymore I can use it, right Danny?" she grinned at me before turning her head in Daniel's direction.

I peeked through the open door to find Daniel sitting on the chair next to the table with his chin rested on the palms of his hand and his elbows crossed above the table. His deep blue eyes met mine for a fraction of minute which made me frozen to the spot. He looked worn out. Their were dark circles under his eyes and his face looked tired. He didn't look like he was fine.