Chapter Fifteen

They found Terrell, as they expected, on the top deck in the ship library. Instead of puzzling over the clues, he appeared to be staring off into space. He jumped when Myrtle and Miles approached.

"Sorry," said Myrtle insincerely. "You must have been deep in thought. Trying to figure out a clue? Perhaps Miles and I can be of assistance—we're both experts with many years of experience."

Ordinarily, she'd have expected Terrell to bluster through a defensive explanation of his crossword ability, but today he seemed very absent-minded and vague. He said slowly, "Many years of experience."

"That's right," confirmed Miles. "Can we help you with something?"

Terrell immediately looked relieved. "Actually, that would be wonderful. I've been trying to figure out what to do."

"How many letters is the answer?" asked Myrtle. She started reaching for the paper.

Terrell's eyes narrowed in confusion and then he said, "Oh, you're talking about the puzzle. I was talking about some advice I need. Since, as you pointed out, you do have years of experience between the two of you."

Myrtle was tiring of the confusing conversation and was ready to go enjoy a coffee and the breakfast buffet. "What's the problem you need help with?"

Terrell blushed a bit and said, "It's Donnice. I just don't know what to do. I've never really been in a situation like this ... meeting someone and making conversation and making future appointments to meet for meals and drinks and such."

Myrtle said, "You mean dating. That's what dating is all about. But you've been married."

"Yes, but that was Mother's idea and she arranged the whole thing. Dates, too. Now I'm on my own and horribly out of practice. I suppose I was never in practice and I'm certainly having to scramble now. What I want to know is, what to do to continue seeing Donnice," said Terrell.

Miles said, "You're talking about when you're back home?"

"That's right. It's amazing that she doesn't live very far from me. I mean, it's a drive in the car, but not one that would limit our seeing each other. The problem is that I don't want to seem ...." Terrell stopped and searched for the right word.

"Pushy?" asked Myrtle. Because it was rather pushy to try to continue a shipboard romance on the ground.

"That's right," said Terrell, relieved. "I don't want her to think that I'm taking it too seriously. In case she doesn't want to take it too seriously. I've been in a stew about it. What do you think I should do? Or say? I don't want to drive her off. What if I ask her for her number and she gives me a fake phone number or something, just to get rid of me?" Terrell seemed to be working himself up into a lather over it all. "And what about today? Should I ask her to go out on an excursion with me? Is that, again, pushy?"

Myrtle realized once again that Terrell had paid little attention to anything to do with the ship's itinerary. "Well, you certainly won't be asking Donnice to go on an excursion with you today. Not unless you both dive overboard. It's our at-sea day."