three

So, even after every single surprise the universe has decided to spring on me, it's a given to conclude that I am not prepared in any way, shape, or form to see that all-too-familiar idiot again, icy blue stare and all.

But there he is, right in front of my own eyes.

And I can't do anything to change the fact.

Unfortunately.

I can already taste the bitter taste of annoyance in my throat, eating away at my insides as I watch a much older version of the little Lucas Hemmings I used to know apporach the car.

Of course it just has to be him: the most annoying, ignorant, and insensible person I have ever met.

God, even the way he walks-no, struts-over to the car annoys me. I can't stand seeing his face again, let alone watching him approach, so I don't know how the hell I'm going to survive an entire weekend with him.

When he opens the side door to slide inside, I already feel like screaming. But I don't, as Ashton sits shotgun next to me, already giving me an all-too-suspicious look.

Instead, I clench onto the steering wheel more vigorously, and to make matters worse, Luke scares the living daylights of me only moments later.

That one quick "Hey" he shot us was enough to unnerve me, and I immediately tense. But then I realize that he's not even bothering to acknowledge Ashton nor I in particular before shoving his sports bag into the backseat and pulling out his cell phone.

Wait, no, it's not just a cell phone.

It's an iPhone.

He has a freaking iPhone.

Of course.

Even Ashton, the king of all sorts of social media, doesn't have one. He uses my father's old Blackberry, cracked down the center but yet still functional, somehow.

I don't even have a phone, but it's not like I actually need one. The only people I would actually call would be Ashton, my father, and Anne (only as a last resort.)

Ashton gives me another weary glance as I sigh and pull out of the perfectly paved driveway, leaving Luke's house behind.

No one says much on the way over, but there is tension in the air-tension beyond belief. To make matters even worse, it takes much longer than I expected to weave through the traffic of the suburbian New York, but once Walnut Street comes into view I swear I'm about ready to jump out of the car.

And I basically do.

Without waiting for Ashton to even unlock the passenger side door, my Converse are already striking the cemet and running as fast as I can through the house and up the stairs.

Once I'm safely inside mine and Ashton's room, I finally am able to compose myself.

But almost as soon as I do, I panic again.

Haphazardly throwing random pieces of clothing, shoes, and underwear into a small duffle bag, my frenzied mind can't help but worry.

It's him.

Lucas.

The one boy I never thought, nor wanted, to see ever again.

How the hell are you going to spend an entire weekend with him, Kaci? You can barely stand to be in the same space as him for five seconds!

And out in the middle of nowhere... Even better!

Not even bothering to double-check what I have packed for the trip, I grab my duffle and my old refurbished iPod Classic and immediately shove the white earbuds into my ears.