Chapter Five

"Alright, lets get started," Mrs. Marks says, clasping her hands in front of her. "I'm sure Brendan told you all why you're here." We all nod. "Yes, so I have the honor of writing an article. I have decided, since I am fortunate to have a son in this generation, that I would write it on an average teenage life."

The woman is tall and skinny and incredibly poised. She takes every step back and forth in the room without a sound, holding perfect posture. She wears a white knee length dress that has a black belt around the waist, with her hair up in a French twist behind her head. She is definitely the most sophisticated woman I have ever seen. I feel so out of place wearing my dark jeans and yellow floral tank top.

The other girls must have known to dress more formally than usual. Shelby is in a plum full length dress and black five inch heels. Missy is wearing a lacy black skirt and white blouse, her hair falling in curls. Karen is wearing a mint color sundress and her hair pulled half back.

"How this is going to work is you all will hang out as usual, being the immature teens you are. Lili will work the camera and take photos. You've got the camera right?" I nod, holding it up. "You'll record some of your conversations with this." She puts a black device that looks similar to an old iPod on the coffee table. "And at the end of the month, you'll send me the pictures and give me back the recorder and I will write the article."

"So our conversations and stuff aren't, like, scripted?" Danny asks, resting his elbows on his knees.

"If they were, I could just make this whole thing up," she says. "I may make some tweaks and adjustments, but I want to really know how teenagers act."

"Right," Danny nods.

"I suppose I'll leave you kids to it," Mrs. Marks says, then she walks off as shuts the door behind her.

"Now what?" Drew asks with a laugh.

"I feel suddenly awkward to hang out," Danny says.

"I know," Missy says.

Danny just stares at her blankly. He obviously hasn't forgotten the fact that he broke up with Missy. He also hasn't forgotten the fact that he's super annoyed with her.

"I'm hungry," Drew tells us, letting his head fall back.

"We could go over to Sammy's Diner," I suggest, shrugging.

"The place down by that boutique? With the gross greasy fries?" Shelby asks, looking disgusted.

"Yep. That's the one," I reply, watching her with a blank expression.

"You eat that stuff?" She asks in horror, her eyes inspecting my body in its entirety.

"Yeah," I say. "It's good."

"But salad and pineapple are better," Karen exclaims, raising her eyebrows. "Shel said that those make us skinnier and less ugly."

"I hate pineapple," I laugh.

"That explains it..." Missy smiles smugly.

"Ah, girls shut up," Drew says. "Lets go get some Sammy's fries and burgers."

"But-" Shelby starts.

"And you girls can bring your stupid salads," Drew rolls his eyes.

*•*•*

"Hello, welcome to Sammy's Diner. How may I help you?"

The girl looks to be about our age. She has bleach blonde hair and about a pound of makeup on her face. Her name tag tells us that her name is 'Grace.'