21 | Let's Play Pretend

2 1
Let's Play Pretend

Tuesday came quicker than I would have liked. Other than the fact that I had a huge AP Calc test I'm sure I failed, it was marking the first day of Jalen and I's fake relationship.

Jalen told me he wanted to start as soon as possible, but I felt like we both needed a second to think this all over. He agreed in the parking lot yesterday, but called me later that night. I ignored the first one, acting as if I wasn't able to talk on the phone, but I quickly changed my mind when Jalen began texting me and the misspelled words were giving me a headache.

Our phone call ended with Jalen convincing me that there's no time like the present. I was shocked he'd even say some shit like that, so I listened when he explained that now is the time to begin this. Everyone already assumed his and Cortney's argument was about me, and what other way is perfect enough to introduce this new relationship than to act as if their breakup meant we could finally make things official.

Nerves overcame me after we hung up, making me toss and turn all night, and bite my nails off during Noah and I's car ride to school. My leg was bouncing the entire time, making Noah realize something was wrong, and making me tell him to leave me the fuck alone, which resulted in him being pissed off at me for the rest of the day.

But I didn't have time to care about his feelings, not when I knew I was about to enter school and change everything. Sure, I was talked about before, but publicly claiming myself as Jalen's girlfriend would no doubt change my life.

Jalen waited for me by my locker, making a show of pulling me into his arms for what he called a good morning hug. I had to ignore the tingling in my stomach as he held me, whether it was from his touch or everyone's stares, I'm not sure—but I felt nervous every minute after as I gathered my books for the day from my locker.

Those nerves calmed slightly when Jalen intertwined his hand with mine, as he walked me to my first period class—shocking me that he had even known what and where it was. Stalker much?

Sitting together at lunch was nothing new, but still, it garnered more people's attention, seeing as Jalen sat closer to me than usual, insisted on holding my lunch tray, and walked me to the bathroom when I announced I needed to go. Truth was, I didn't really have to use it, but seeing everyone watching me and then noticing that Cortney was nowhere to be found had me nervous as fuck.

I needed a breather, but Jalen wouldn't allow me one. He was on me like white on rice. It was suffocating.

I said that to him when I came out of the bathroom, but all he had done was smile and walk by my side, not holding my hand that time. I guess that was his way of compromising.

His moment of obeying my wishes must've passed, however, as he's currently gripping my hand as if we'll die if he lets go.

"Remember what I said about needing space to breathe?" I murmur lowly to him, knowing I need to watch what I say and who I say it to now that we've started this charade.

I'm not even sure who I can or cannot tell the truth too. I've had to dodge Rachel in class and in the halls. Anytime I glance at my phone, I see hundreds of notifications by her name, but I can't answer any of her questions.

Jalen lets out a laugh that sounds fake as hell. "Everyone knows I'm a touchy person. It'd look weird if I stood on the opposite side of the school, Lyndon."

He's smiling, but his words sound scolding, especially the way he just said my name. Like a parent upset with their kid.

I stop walking, making him stop as well due to our tightly linked hands. He turns to me, trying to keep that smile on his face, but I can tell by his eyes that he's struggling to do so.