Chapter 47

Kindly click on the ⭐ button below your screen to signify a vote and share your thoughts with me. I love reading them.

Kara’s POV

*

            “I’m just going through a phase...”

“Okay, now I don’t know what is wrong with you but your behavior on Friday was totally out of it.” I signaled to Mimi and she continued her search for vegetables while I spoke to Adrian. After calling her several times since Friday which was Christmas, she was just calling me five days later — on the thirtieth for that matter. If not for one message she sent on Boxing Day, I would have thought something bad happened and called her brother and even her parents.

“Yeah, I figured. Don’t worry, I was a bitch that day and my behavior was uncalled for.” She laughed awkwardly.

“I’m talking about Diego babe, Diego.”

“Uh...okay?”

“Cut the guy some slack. You don’t even talk that much with him yet you’re always acting as if he did something so horrible to you.”

She did a harsh breath intake. “I...I don’t like him, okay?”

“Why?!” I laid a strong emphasis on the question.

There was no reason why she would suddenly decide not to like someone she didn’t really know.

A little girl, who was clutching the hand of this pregnant woman waved at me, showing me her beautiful smile with her incisors missing. Chocolate was smudged on her chubby cheeks and I gushed, restraining myself from swiping the edge of my sleeves on her cheek to wipe the smudge off.

There was no handkerchief with me. Fawning at her cuteness, I waved back and watch them leave for another row. She was still smiling. So cute.

“I don’t know.” Adrian’s tone was nonchalant, bringing me back to the discussion at hand. I bit on my lower lip to restrain from saying something horrible to her because irritation was slowly beginning to eat me up as I thought back to how ill she treated him on Christmas. For goodness sake, that was his birthday and she had made me almost regret bringing her along.

Diego doesn’t even joke where Adrian is because she’s always so rude to him and being the polite guy was, he’d never want to embarrass himself.

“Well, you need to sort that out. And I mean it, Adri-”

“Look Kara, I only called to say I realized I went out of line with my behavior with Mr. Stephano on Tuesday. Especially because it seemed I interrupted something from the beginning and made him displeased. Can he forgive me?”
Her voice was pleading.

I was suddenly tongue-tied. One only saw this side of my best friend on rare occasions and that would be maybe when she was talking about her boyfriend, Lucas or her father. Adrian was a total cuddly, daddy’s girl beyond all those hard exterior of hers.

I puckered my lips. “I’ll tell him on your behalf. Still, stop hating on Diego.”

“Argh, fine. You really like this guy Kara.”

I held myself from laughing at her ridiculousness. Was this why she had been so concerned? So her so-called love ship wouldn’t sink?

“What are you talking about?”

I shifted on the spot I was standing. Then I started walking closer to Mimi and looking at what she wanted to pick. I nodded at Mimi who signified if those carrots were fresh enough for the preparation of the New Year’s Eve meal.